Automatic Detection of Obstacles in Railway Tracks Using Monocular Camera
This paper presents an algorithm for automatic detection of obstructions on railway tracks. Based on computer vision techniques, this algorithm extracts the railway tracks from the image feed and automatically detects obstacles that can endanger normal railway system operation, as well as the safety of its users. To segment the railway tracks, two techniques are explored. First, the Hough transform is used to detect straight lines, which proves to be inefficient when dealing with curves. To overcome this problem, an alternative solution is developed based on mathematical morphology techniques and BLOB (Binary Large OBject) analysis, leading to a more robust segmentation. The surrounding terrain is also subject to analysis. The algorithm’s performance is evaluated considering different scenarios with and without simulated anomalies, demonstrating the effectiveness of the proposed solution.
KeywordsRailway obstruction detection Monocular camera Computer vision
This research is funded by FCT, through IDMEC, under LAETA, project UID/EMS/50022/2019.
- 1.UIC Safety Database. https://safetydb.uic.org/IMG/pdf/sdb_ report_2018_ public.pdf. Accessed 26 May 2019
- 2.Pleora Technologies. https://www.pleora.com/markets/machine-vision/railway-inspection/. Accessed 26 May 2019
- 4.Ukai, M., Nassu, B.T., Nagamine, N., Watanabe, M., Inaba, T.: Obstacle detection on railway track by fusing radar and image sensor. In: 9th World Congress on Railway Research, Lille, France (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Babenko, P.: Visual inspection of railroad tracks. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Central Florida (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Singh, M., Singh, S., Jaiswal, J. and Hempshall, J.: Autonomous rail track inspection using vision based system. In: 2006 IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Homeland Security and Personal Safety, pp. 56–59 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Mathworks Documentation. https://www.mathworks.com/help/images/land-classification-with-color-features-and-superpixels.html. Accessed 23 Apr. 2018