Flexographic Printing of Optical Multimodal Y-Splitters for Optical Sensor Networks
Flexographic printing on Polymethylmethacrylat (PMMA) substrates is a promising technology for the cost-effective production of large-scale optical networks. It allows for numerous applications in the fields of data transmission, sensing and point-of-care systems. This article introduces the flexographic printing of optical multimode Y-splitter as a fundamental element for these networks. It is printed with an optical grade acrylic polymer on flexible PMMA substrates. We investigated geometric and optical properties of splitters with angles up to 20° and achieved attenuations due to the Y-splitter below 1.3 dB at 638 nm.
KeywordsWaveguide Y-splitter Printing Flexographic
Funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation) under Germany’s Excellence Strategy within the Cluster of Excellence PhoenixD (EXC 2122, Project ID 390833453).
- 1.Overmeyer, L., Wolfer, T., Wang, Y., Schwenke, A., Sajti, L., Roth, B., et al.: Polymer based planar optronic systems. In: Proceedings of LAMP2013 – the 6th International Congress on Laser Advanced Materials Processing, Niigata, Japan (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Xiao, Y., Pichler, E., Hofmann, M., Bethmann, K., Köhring, M., Willer, U., et al.: Towards integrated resonant and interferometric sensors in polymer films. Proc. Technol. 15, 692–702 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Sherman, S., Zappe, H.: Printable Bragg gratings for polymer-based temperature sensors. In: 2nd International Conference on System-Integrated Intelligence. Challenges for Product and Production Engineering, vol. 15, pp. 703–710 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Kelb, C., Reithmeier, E., Roth, B.: Foil-integrated 2D optical strain sensors. In: 2nd International Conference on System-Integrated Intelligence. Challenges for Product and Production Engineering, vol. 15, pp. 711–716 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Wolfer, T., Bollgruen, P., Mager, D., Overmeyer, L., Korvink, J.G.: Flexographic and inkjet printing of polymer optical waveguides for fully integrated sensor systems. Proc. Technol. 15, 522–530 (2014)Google Scholar