Power Management in Autonomous Optical Sensor Nodes
- 184 Downloads
Solar cells are the most common energy scavengers due to their ease of use, reliability and wide range of applications wherever the light is present. One of such applications is a wireless autonomous sensor network, where each sensor node tends to be as small as possible. In this paper, we describe a way to optimize the optical energy harvesting process using as an example a power management IC BQ25570. We introduce an approach to calculate the minimal solar cell area and storage capacitance, which are necessary to supply the module in the active mode for a specified time period and to minimize the charging time.
KeywordsEnergy harvesting Solar cell Autonomous sensor node Visible light combination Power management
This work was financially supported by the Lower Saxony Ministry for Science and Culture, Germany, within the framework of “Tailored Light” project.
- 2.Dudko, U., Overmeyer, L.: Intelligent photoelectric sensor module utilizing light for communication and energy harvesting. In: DGaO Proceedings (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Dudko, U., Pflieger, K., Overmeyer, L.: Optical autonomous sensor module communicating with a smartphone using its camera. In: Proceedings of the Smart Photonic and Optoelectronic Integrated Circuits XXI (SPIE OPTO), San Francisco, CA, USA, vol. 10922, p. 109220I (2019). https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2506777
- 4.Penella-López, M.T., Gasulla-Forner, M. (eds.): Powering Autonomous Sensors: An Integral Approach with Focus on Solar and RF Energy Harvesting. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, J., Liu, A., Shen, G., Li, L., Sun, C., Zhao, F.: Retro-VLC. In: Proceedings of the 16th International Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, pp. 21–26 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Duquel, A., Stanica, R., Rivano, H., Desportes, A.: Decoding methods in LED-to-smartphone bidirectional communication for the IoT. In: Global LIFI Congress (GLC), pp. 1–6 (2018). https://doi.org/10.23919/glc.2018.8319118
- 7.Wang, Z., Tsonev, D., Videv, S., Haas, H.: Towards self-powered solar panel receiver for optical wireless communication. In: Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2014), pp. 3348–3353. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) (2014). https://doi.org/10.1109/icc.2014.6883838
- 10.Visconti, P., Ferri, R., Pucciarelli, M., Venere, E.: Development and characterization of a solar-based energy harvesting and power management system for a WSN node applied to optimized goods transport and storage. Int. J. Smart Sens. Intell. Syst. 4(9), 1637–1667 (2016)Google Scholar