Critical Gene Selection by a Modified Particle Swarm Optimization Approach
Gene selection is an eminent area of research in computational biology. Identifying disease critical genes analysing large gene expression dataset is a challenging problem in computational biology. Application of meta-heuristics is considered to be efficient to attempt such problem. Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) is a meta-heuristic technique based on swarm intelligence. An improved version of PSO, namely, New Variant Repository and Mutation based PSO (NVRMPSO) combined with kNN (NVRMPSO-kNN) has been applied here to find the subset of genes (disease critical) from gene expression dataset. The modification has been done on a recent PSO version, referred as, Repository and Mutation based PSO (RMPSO). The kNN algorithm has been used for sample classification. The performance of proposed NVRMPSO-kNN has been compared with RMPSO incorporated with kNN (RMPSO-kNN) in gene selection problem. The RMPSO-kNN and proposed NVRMPSO-kNN have been applied to three different sizes of datasets, numbered as, E-MEXP-1050, GSE60438 and GSE10588 of preeclampsia disease. The experimental results reveal that the efficacy of NVRMPSO-kNN is better than that of RMPSO-kNN when Classification Accuracy is considered. Furthermore, the performance of proposed NVRMPSO-kNN has been validated with the state-of-the-art observations.
KeywordsGene selection Gene expression PSO RMPSO kNN
- 2.Biswas, S., Dutta, S., Acharyya, S.: Identification of disease critical genes using collective meta-heuristic approaches: an application to preeclampsia. Interdisc. Sci. Comput. Life Sci. 1–16 (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Saha, S., Biswas, S., Acharyya, S.: Gene selection by sample classification using k nearest neighbor and meta-heuristic algorithms. In: 2016 IEEE 6th International Conference on Advanced Computing (IACC), pp. 250–255. IEEE, February 2016Google Scholar
- 4.Chen, X.W.: Gene selection for cancer classification using bootstrapped genetic algorithms and support vector machines. In: Proceedings of the 2003 IEEE Bioinformatics Conference. CSB 2003 on Computational Systems Bioinformatics, CSB 2003, pp. 504–505. IEEE, August 2003Google Scholar
- 5.Alba, E., Garcia-Nieto, J., Jourdan, L., Talbi, E.G.: Gene selection in cancer classification using PSO/SVM and GA/SVM hybrid algorithms. In: 2007 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 284–290. IEEE, September 2007Google Scholar
- 10.Pyingkodi, M., Thangarajan, R.: Informative gene selection for cancer classification with microarray data using a metaheuristic framework. Asian Pac. J. Cancer Prev. APJCP 19(2), 561 (2018)Google Scholar