Staging the Banality of Social Evil: Faust and/in Philippine Contemporary Social Politics
- 14 Downloads
On the occasion of the 2017 National Arts Month in the Philippines, José Estrella directed Faust, a contemporary Philippine adaptation written by Rody Vera. This chapter looks at Faust as an allegory of the current Philippine political landscape. Specifically, it traces how the journey of Faust in search of the most ideal and perfect knowledge parallels the contemporary political affairs in the Philippines. The chapter reads the characters of Faust, Mephistopheles/Mephisto, Gretchen and the mangkukulam (witch) as relatable figures to Filipino audience, especially since they are presented as reminders that in an era of what many have identified as post-truth, someone will always emerge to tell the real story.
This chapter is supported by the University of the Philippines Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs through the Enhanced Creative Work and Research Grant (ECWRG 2017-2-06). I express my sincerest gratitude to the said institution.
- Arendt, Hannah. 1976. Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil. New York: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- ———. 1978. The Life of the Mind 1: Thinking. London: Secker and Warburg.Google Scholar
- ———. 1985 (1951). The Origins of Totalitarianism. New York: Harcourt Brace.Google Scholar
- ———. 1994. Essays in Understanding: 1930–1954: Formation, Exile and Totalitarianism. Edited by Jerome Kohn. New York: Harcourt Brace.Google Scholar
- ———. 2007. The Jewish Writings. Edited by Jerome Kohn and Ron H. Feldmen. New York: Schocken Books.Google Scholar
- Arguelles, Cleve Kevin Robert. 2017. Duterte’s Other War: The Battle for EDSA People Power’s Memory. In A Duterte Reader: Critical Essays on Rodrigo Duterte’s Early Presidency, ed. Nicole Curato, 263–282. Quezon City: Bughaw/Ateneo de Manila University Press.Google Scholar
- Ateneo de Manila University. 2012a. Tanglaw ng Lahi Award. Ateneo de Manila University Website. Accessed March 10, 2018. http://www.ateneo.edu/tanglaw-ng-lahi-award.
- ———. 2012b. Rodolfo C. Vera. Ateneo de Manila University Website. Accessed March 10, 2018. http://www.ateneo.edu/rodolfo-c-vera-gawad-tanglaw-ng-lahi.
- Bello, Walden. 2017. Rodrigo Duterte: A Fascist Original. In A Duterte Reader: Critical Essays on Rodrigo Duterte’s Early Presidency, ed. Nicole Curato, 77–92. Quezon City: Bughaw/Ateneo de Manila University Press.Google Scholar
- Cayabyab, Marc Jayson. 2017. House Gives Commission on Human Rights P1,000 Budget for 2018. Philippine Daily Inquirer Online, September 12. Accessed March 10, 2018. http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/930106/house-budget-deliberations-chr-p1000-budget-speaker-alvarez.
- Cayon, Manuel. 2016. First President from Mindanao Seen Bringing Discipline to the Whole PHL. Business Mirror Online, May 11. Accessed March 10, 2018. https://businessmirror.com.ph/first-president-from-mindanao-seen-bringing-discipline-to-the-whole-phl/.
- ———. 1988. The Autonomy of Politics. Aldershot: Avebury.Google Scholar
- Corales, Nestor. 2017. Duterte Admits He Was Wrong on 3–6 Months Drug War Deadline. Philippine Daily Inquirer Online, April 17. Accessed March 10, 2018. http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/923503/duterte-drug-war-deadline-drugs-war-on-drugs-campaign-extension.
- Curato, Nicole. 2017. We Need to Talk About Rody. In A Duterte Reader: Critical Essays on Rodrigo Duterte’s Early Presidency, ed. Nicole Curato, 1–36. Quezon City: Bughaw/Ateneo de Manila University Press.Google Scholar
- Diaz, Ramona, dir. 2003. Imelda. CineDiaz. Documentary Film.Google Scholar
- ———. 2017. Faust. Souvenir Program.Google Scholar
- Estrella, Josefina, dir. 2017. Bilanggo ng Pag-ibig by Rody Vera. Dulaang Unibersidad ng Pilipinas. Full-Length Play.Google Scholar
- Gavilan, Jodesz. 2018. Rights Groups Slam Cayetano’s Defense of Drug War before UN. Rappler Online, March 1. Accessed March 10, 2018. https://www.rappler.com/nation/197171-human-rights-groups-slam-alan-peter-cayetano-defense-drug-war-united-nations.
- Hegina, Aries Joseph. 2016. Davao City Improves to 5th in Ranking of World’s Safest Cities. Philippine Daily Inquirer Online, June 24. Accessed March 10, 2018. http://globalnation.inquirer.net/125132/davao-city-improves-to-5th-in-ranking-of-worlds-safest-cities.
- Huber, Peter. 2011. Mephisto Is the Devil—or Is He? In Goethe’s Faust: Theatre of Modernity, ed. Hans Schulte, John Noyes, and Pia Kleber, 32–39. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Human Rights Watch. Philippines: Events of 2016. Accessed February 20, 2018. https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2017/country-chapters/philippines.
- Ilagan, Bonifacio. 2010. Crossing Borders: Philippines Activist Theater and Martial Law. Kritika Kultura 14: 111–119.Google Scholar
- Janz, Rolf-Peter. 2011. Mephisto and the Modernization of Evil. In Goethe’s Faust: Theatre of Modernity, ed. Hans Schulte, John Noyes, and Pia Kleber, 17–31. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Jorge, Rome. 2017. Faust: Reminagined as Post-Truth Philippines. Philippine Daily Inquirer Online, February 25. Accessed July 15, 2018. http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/255268/faust-reimagined-post-truth-philippines/.
- Mogato, Manuel and Clare Baldwin. 2017. Special Report: Police Describe Kill, Rewards, Staged Crime Scenes in Duterte’s Drug War. Reuters Online Report, April 18. Accessed March 10, 2018. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-duterte-police-specialrep/special-report-police-describe-kill-rewards-staged-crime-scenes-in-dutertes-drug-war-idUSKBN17K1F4.
- Paddock, Richard C. 2016. Hero’s Burial for Ferdinand Marcos Draws Protests from Dictator’s Victims. The New York Times Online, November 18. Accessed March 10, 2018. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/19/world/asia/philippines-marcos-burial.html.
- Perry, Juliet. 2017. Philippines to UN: Reports of Extrajudicial Killings are based on “Alternative Facts”. CNN Online, May 9. Accessed March 10, 2018. https://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/09/asia/philippines-war-on-drugs-alternative-facts/index.html.
- Pertierra, Anna Christina. 2017. Celebrity Politics and Televisual Melodrama in the Age of Duterte. In A Duterte Reader: Critical Essays on Rodrigo Duterte’s Early Presidency, ed. Nicole Curato, 219–230. Quezon City: Bughaw/Ateneo de Manila University Press.Google Scholar
- Rancière, Jacques. 1999. Dis-agreement: Politics and Philosophy. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Rodriguez, Filemon. 1985. The Marcos Regime: Rape of the Nation. New York: Vantage Press.Google Scholar
- Tan, Michael L. 2008. Revisiting Usog, Pasma, Kulam. Quezon City: The University of the Philippines Press.Google Scholar
- Tan, Lara. 2016. Supreme Court Allows Burial of Marcos at Heroes’ Cemetery. CNN Philippines Online, November 18. Accessed March 10, 2018. http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2016/11/08/Marcos-hero-burial-Libingan-ng-mga-Bayani-Supreme-Court.html.
- Tiatco, Sir Anril P. 2015. Entablado: Theaters and Performances in the Philippines. Quezon City: The University of the Philippines Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016. The Theatre of José Estrella. The Theatre Times, August 26. Accessed February 20, 2018. https://thetheatretimes.com/theater-jose-estrella/.
- ———. 2017. Understanding the Contemporary in Philippine Theater. In Art Archive 01: A Collection of Essays on Contemporary Philippine Visual and Performing Arts, ed. Patricia Tumang, 50–55. Manila: The Japan Foundation.Google Scholar
- Tiatco, Sir Anril P., and Bryan Levina Viray. June 2018. Performing Human Rights: Pista Rizalina’s Interrogation of Martial Law, Extra-Judicial Killings and Historical Revisionism at the Cultural Center of the Philippines. JATI: Journal of Southeast Asian Studies 23 (1): 215–239.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- University of the Philippines Diliman Information Office. 2017. Salaysayan: K’wentong Bayan, Kaalamang Bayan. Printed Souvenir Program.Google Scholar
- University of the Philippines Media and Public Relations Office. The UP Charter. University of the Philippines Website. Accessed July 2, 2018. https://www.up.edu.ph/index.php/about-up/the-up-charter/.
- Vera, Rodolfo. 2017. Faust. Unpublished Typescript.Google Scholar