Energy-Efficient Approximate Data Collection and BP-Based Reconstruction in UWSNs
Approximate data collection that has been extensively studied in Terrestrial Wireless Sensor Networks (TWSNs) can be leveraged in underwater scenarios. However, it is challenging to balance between energy cost and data quality because timely quality feedback strategies applicable in TWSNs may not be suitable for underwater scenarios constrained by long acoustic delay.
Faced with high-frequency packet failure, we first formulate the problem of selecting the minimum sensing node set into a minimum m-dominating set problem that is known to be NP-hard, and then propose a heuristic Center-based Active Sensor Selection (CASS) algorithm for approximate data collection with the consideration of node correlation and residual energy. With the computing ability of the cloud, Belief Propagation (BP) is utilized to infer missing data. Evaluation based on real-world datasets shows our proposed approximate collection strategy can reduce 60% more energy cost with little accuracy loss.
KeywordsUnderwater wireless sensor network Approximate data collection Data quality m-dominating set
- 4.He, S., Shin, K.G.: Steering crowdsourced signal map construction via bayesian compressive sensing. In: IEEE INFOCOM 2018-IEEE Conference on Computer Communications, pp. 1016–1024. IEEE (2018)Google Scholar
- 5.Dai, F., Wu, J.: On constructing k-connected k-dominating set in wireless networks. In: 2005 Proceedings of the 19th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, p. 10. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Yedidia, J.S., Freeman, W.T., Weiss, Y.: Understanding belief propagation and its generalizations. Exploring Artif. Intell. New Millennium 8, 236–239 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Etter, P.C.: Underwater Acoustic Modeling and Simulation. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2018)Google Scholar
- 9.Takeda, H., Farsiu, S., Milanfar P., et al.: Kernel regression for image processing and reconstruction. Ph.D. dissertation, Citeseer (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.An, Y., Li, C., Wang, G., Zhang, R., Wang, H.: User’s manual of global Argo dataset index and query system (version 1.0)”, p. 11 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Kong, L., Xia, M., Liu, X.-Y., Wu, M.-Y., Liu, X.: Data loss and reconstruction in sensor networks. In: Proceedings IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 1654–1662. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar