Minorities Under Attack in Pakistan
- 12 Downloads
Religious minorities were bound to be treated as second-class citizens in Pakistan as the country was conceived as the homeland of Muslims from the British Raj and became an Islamic Republic. Hindus, Christians, and others were confined to separate electorates for quite some time and on several occasions. A new minority, the Ahmadis, emerged in 1974 when the 1973 Constitution was amended for defining who a Muslim is. All these groups are victims of discrimination, including ghettoization. They are particularly affected by the anti-blasphemy law.
KeywordsSeparate electorates anti blasphemy law Pakistani Christian Pakistani Hindus Ahmadis
- Braibanti, Ralph. 1999. Chief Justice Cornelius of Pakistan: An Analysis With Letters and Speeches. Karachi, Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Dawn. 2014. Extremist Threats Hamper Shahbaz Bhatti’s Murder Trial, 9 February. Available at http://www.dawn.com/news/1085703.
- The Express Tribune. 2014a. Hindus, Other Minorities in Pakistan Face Surge of Violence, 21 May. Available at http://tribune.com.pk/story/704806/hindus-other-minorities-in-pakistan-face-surge-of-violence/.
- ———. 2014b. Minorities Under Siege, 8 August. Available at http://tribune.com.pk/story/745655/minorities-under-siege/.
- Hasan, Shazia. 2014. Hindu Community Irked by ‘Forced Conversion’. Dawn, 17 February. Available at http://www.dawn.com/news/1087469.
- Hindustan Times. 2012. Pakistani Hindus Arrive with Horror Tales.Google Scholar
- Iqbal, Mirza. 2014. Ahmadis on the Run: Fearing Death in People’s Colony. Dawn, 18 August. Available at http://www.dawn.com/news/1123873.
- Jafri, Nabeel. 2013. No Place for Ahmadis in Imran Khan’s Naya Pakistan. The Express Tribune, 3 May. Available at http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/17157/no-place-forahmadis-in-imran-khans-naya-pakistan/. Accessed 15 September 2013.
- Jafri, Owais and Asad Kharal. 2014. Human Rights Lawyer Rashid Rehman Shot Dead. The Express Tribune, 8 May. Available at http://tribune.com.pk/story/705659/human-rights-lawyer-rashid-rehman-shot-dead/.
- Jamal, Nasir. 2014. Footprints: No Space for Ahmadis. Dawn, 1 August. Available at http://www.dawn.com/news/1122504.
- Jillani, Amina. 2014. Singling Out the Minorities. The Express Tribune, 4 October. Available at http://tribune.com.pk/story/613530/singling-out-the-minorities/.
- Jinnah Institute. 2011. A Question of Faith: A Report on the Status of Religious Minorities in Pakistan. Islamabad. Available at http://jinnah-institute.org/images/stories/jinnah_minority_report.pdf. Accessed 15 September 2013.
- Mahmud, Tayyab. 1995. Freedom of Religion and Religious Minorities in Pakistan. Fordham International Law Journal 19 (1): 40–100.Google Scholar
- Malik, Iftikhar H. 2002. Religious Minorities in Pakistan. London: Minorities Rights Group International.Google Scholar
- Mehmood, Rabia. 2014. Ahmadis, Seared to the Wall. Dawn, 30 July. Available at http://www.dawn.com/news/1122333.
- Miraj, Muhammad Hassan. 2014. Murder in Rabwah. Dawn, 28 May. Available at http://www.dawn.com/news/1108902.
- Rais, Rasul Bakhsh. 2004. Islamic Radicalism and Minorities in Pakistan. In Religious Radicalism and Security in South Asia, eds Satu P. Limaye, Mohan Malik, and Robert G. Wirsing., page range. Honolulu: Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies.Google Scholar
- Saeed, Sadia. n.d. The Nation and Its Heretics: Courts, State Authority and Minority Rights in Pakistan. Available at http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/default/.../Nation%26Heretics_SAEED.pdf. Accessed on 15 September 2013.
- Shakir, Naeem. 2001. Pakistan: Joint Electorate A Democratic Ethos. Human Rights Solidarity, 17 August. Available at http://www.hrsolidarity.net/mainfile.php/2000vol10no09/706/.
- Tanweer, Rana. 2014. Implementing the Minority Quota. The Express Tribune, 5 June. Available at http://tribune.com.pk/story/717196/implementing-the-minority-quota/.
- UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees). 2012. UNHCR Eligibility Guidelines for Assessing the International Protection Needs of Members of Religious Minorities from Pakistan, 14 May. UNHCR.Google Scholar
- United States Department of State. 2011. International Religious Reform Report for 2011. Available at http://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/irf/2011/sca/192933.htm. Accessed 15 September 2013.