Investigating the Effectiveness of Client-Side Search/Browse Without a Network Connection
Search and browse, incorporating elements of information retrieval and database operations, are core services in most digital repository toolkits. These are often implemented using a server-side index, such as that produced by Apache SOLR. However, sometimes a small collection needs to be static and portable, or stored client-side. It is proposed that, in these instances, browser-based search and browse is possible, using standard facilities within the browser. This was implemented and evaluated for varying behaviours and collection sizes. The results show that it was possible to achieve fast performance for typical queries on small- to medium-sized collections.
KeywordsSearch Browse Client-side Offline Browser-based
This research was partially funded by the National Research Foundation of South Africa (Grant numbers: 85470 and 105862) and University of Cape Town. The authors acknowledge that opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this publication are that of the authors, and that the NRF accepts no liability whatsoever in this regard.
- 1.Archive and Public Culture: The five hundred year archive. www.apc.uct.ac.za/apc/research/projects/five-hundred-year-archive
- 3.Hochstenbach, P., Jerez, H., Van de Sompel, H.: The OAI-PMH static repository and static repository gateway. In: Proceedings of the 3rd ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 210–217. IEEE Computer Society (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Lagoze, C., Van de Sompel, H.: The open archives initiative: building a low-barrier interoperability framework. In: Proceedings of the 1st ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 54–62. ACM (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Phiri, L.: Simple digital libraries. Ph.D. thesis, University of Cape Town (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Phiri, L., Williams, K., Robinson, M., Hammar, S., Suleman, H.: Bonolo: a general digital library system for file-based collections. In: Chen, H.-H., Chowdhury, G. (eds.) ICADL 2012. LNCS, vol. 7634, pp. 49–58. Springer, Heidelberg (2012). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-34752-8_6CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Smith, M., et al.: DSpace: an open source dynamic digital repository (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Suleman, H.: An African perspective on digital preservation. In: Multimedia Information Extraction and Digital Heritage Preservation, pp. 295–306. World Scientific (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Suleman, H., Bowes, M., Hirst, M., Subrun, S.: Hybrid online-offline digital collections. In: Proceedings of the 2010 Annual Research Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists, pp. 421–425. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Van Garderen, P.: The ICA-AtoM project and technology. In: Third Meeting on Archival Information Databases. (16–17 julio 2009: Rio de Janeiro). Trabajos presentados. Rio de Janeiro: Association of Brazilian Archivists (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Witten, I.H., McNab, R.J., Boddie, S.J., Bainbridge, D.: Greenstone: a comprehensive open-source digital library software system (2000)Google Scholar