Quantum-Inspired Evolutionary Algorithms for Covering Arrays of Arbitrary Strength
The construction of covering arrays, the combinatorial structures underlying combinatorial test suites, is a highly researched topic. In previous works, various metaheuristic algorithms, such as Simulated Annealing and Tabu Search, were used to successfully construct covering arrays with a small number of rows. In this paper, we propose for the first time a quantum-inspired evolutionary algorithm for covering array generation. For this purpose, we introduce a simpler and more natural qubit representation as well as new rotation and mutation operators. We implemented different versions of our algorithm employing the different operators. We evaluate the different implementations against selected (optimal) covering array instances.
KeywordsOptimization Covering arrays Quantum algorithms
This research was carried out partly in the context of the Austrian COMET K1 program and publicly funded by the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG) and the Vienna Business Agency (WAW).
- 1.Cleve, R., Ekert, A., Macchiavello, C., Mosca, M.: Quantum algorithms revisited. In: Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, vol. 454, August 1997Google Scholar
- 2.Colbourn, C.J.: Covering Array Tables for t = 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. http://www.public.asu.edu/~ccolbou/src/tabby/catable.html. Accessed 26 Feb 2019
- 5.Grover, L.K.: A fast quantum mechanical algorithm for database search. In: Proceedings of the Twenty-Eighth Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, STOC 1996, pp. 212–219. ACM, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Han, K.H., Kim, J.H.: On the analysis of the quantum-inspired evolutionary algorithm with a single individual. In: 2006 IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 2622–2629, July 2006Google Scholar
- 13.Lei, Y., Tai, K.C.: In-parameter-order: a test generation strategy for pairwise testing. In: Proceedings Third IEEE International High-Assurance Systems Engineering Symposium (Cat. No. 98EX231), pp. 254–261, November 1998Google Scholar
- 18.Shor, P.W.: Algorithms for quantum computation: discrete logarithms and factoring. In: Proceedings 35th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 124–134, November 1994Google Scholar
- 19.Torres-Jimenez, J., Izquierdo-Marquez, I.: Survey of covering arrays. In: 2013 15th International Symposium on Symbolic and Numeric Algorithms for Scientific Computing, pp. 20–27, September 2013Google Scholar