Conclusion: What’s the Question?
- 54 Downloads
The conclusion briefly addresses if M&W’s comedy can be defined as progressive or liberating. The chapter examines the fact that the Boys repeatedly imagine Shakespeare, Eric, and Ernie as gay men, thereby effectively altering traditional conceptions of masculinity, comedy, and ‘the Bard.’ For the Boys, then, ‘each brand new bright tomorrow’ offered an optimistic worldview that worked to bring joy and love through inclusive and hilarious comedy.
- Bakish, David (1995) Jimmy Durante: His Show Business Career, with an Annotated Filmography and Discography. McFarland.Google Scholar
- Calcutt, Andrew (2000) Brit Cult: An A-Z of British Pop Culture. Prion.Google Scholar
- Connery, Donald (1968) The Irish. New York: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- Dickinson, Tommy (2015) Curing Queers: Mental Nurses and Their Patients, 1935–1974. Manchester UP.Google Scholar
- Ellis, John (2002) Seeing Things: Television in the Age of Uncertainty. I.B. Tauris.Google Scholar
- Gray, Breda (2013) ‘From ‘Ethnicity’ to ‘Diaspora’: 1980s Emigration and ‘Multicultural’ London,’ in Andy Bielenberg, ed, The Irish Diaspora. Routledge, 65–88.Google Scholar
- Jones, Bill, prod (2009) Monty Python: Almost the Truth (Lawyers Cut). BBC.Google Scholar
- Kinealy, Christine (2010) War and Peace: Ireland Since the 1960s. Reaktion Books.Google Scholar
- Metress, Seamus (1996) ‘British Racism and its Impact on Anglo-Irish Relations,’ in Larry Reynolds and Leonard Lieberman, eds, Race and Other Misadventures: Essays in Honor of Ashley Montagu in His Ninetieth Year. Dix Hills: General Hall, 50–63.Google Scholar
- Midwinter, Eric (1979) Make ‘Em Laugh: Famous Comedians and Their Worlds. Allen & Unwin.Google Scholar
- Midwinter, Eric (2006) The People’s Jesters: British Comedians in the 20th Century. Third Age Press.Google Scholar
- Morecambe, Eric, and Ernie Wise (1974) The Morecambe and Wise Happy Birthday Record. Lyntone. 2809.Google Scholar
- Sellers, Robert and James Hogg (2011) Little Ern. The Authorized Biography of Ernie Wise. Sidgwick & Jackson.Google Scholar