Advertisement

Ultimate Pit Limit Determination Considering Mining Royalty in Open-Pit Copper Mines

  • Hamid MerganiEmail author
  • Morteza Osanloo
  • Morteza Parichehp
Conference paper
Part of the Springer Series in Geomechanics and Geoengineering book series (SSGG)

Abstract

Mining royalty is a payment to the holder of mineral rights for utilization of the mineral resources. As well, the royalty is recognized as the amount of mining contribution in sustainable development. So far, there has not been a generalized world acceptable approach to examine the effects of royalty on mine design elements such as cut-off grade, strip ratio, and revenue as well as mineable reserve and its influence on Ultimate Pit Limit (UPL) determination. The present paper aims to investigate these effects. To this end, a data-driven simulation-based technique was developed to show how the mining royalty might be changed and how it might affect the open pit mine design. To this end, a regression model was developed to predict the royalty based on commodity price volatilities. A series of price scenario and the corresponding royalty values are created using the cumulative probability distribution function of the price data. These scenarios are not those fancied by the authors, indeed they are those happen in the real world. Thereafter, both price and royalty scenarios are used to the subsequent block economic value and UPL determinations. The technique was tested in Sungun copper mine of Iran. The results show that mining royalty often does not influence the mine design elements with a 72% probability of concurrence. Whereas, there is about 28% chance that the royalty reduces the mine life, the minable reserve, and the total revenue by 1.06% and 1.07% and 0.73% respectively, compared to the base case where the royalty is not considered. In addition, with the same chance, the stripping ratio and the average grade are to be relatively decreased by 0.23% and 0.34% compared to those by the base case.

Keywords

Mining royalty Open pit mining Mine design elements Ultimate Pit Limit 

References

  1. 1.
    Otto, J.M.: Position of the Peruvian taxation system as compared to mining taxation systems in other nations. Documento preparado para el Ministerio de Economía y Finanzas del Perú, Lima (2002)Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    Cawood, F.T.: The mineral and petroleum royalty bill-report to national treasury. J. South Afr. Inst. Min. Metall. 103(4), 213–232 (2003)Google Scholar
  3. 3.
    Cawood, F.T.: An investigation of the potential impact of the new South African Mineral and Petroleum Resources Royalty Act. J. South Afr. Inst. Min. Metall. 111(7), 443–453 (2011)Google Scholar
  4. 4.
    Otto, J.M., Andrews, C.B., Cawood, F., Doggett, M., Guj, P., Stermole, F., Stermole, J., Tilton, J.: Mining royalties: a global study of their impact on investors, government, and civil society. The World Bank (2006)Google Scholar
  5. 5.
    Grobler, J.: Mineral and Petroleum Resources Royalty Act: the impact on the fiscal and mining industry in South Africa. Doctoral dissertation, University of Pretoria (2014)Google Scholar
  6. 6.
    Birch, C.: Impact of the South African mineral resource royalty on cut-off grades for narrow, tabular Witwatersrand gold deposits. J. South Afr. Inst. Min. Metall. 116(3), 237–246 (2016)Google Scholar
  7. 7.
    Tilton, J.E.: Determining the optimal tax on mining. In: Natural Resources Forum, vol. 28(2), pp. 144–149. Blackwell Publishing Ltd., Oxford (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  8. 8.
    Davis, G.A.: Mining Royalties: A Global Study of Their Impact on Investors, Government, and Civil Society, James Otto, Craig Andrews, Fred Cawood, Michael Doggett, Pietro Guj, Frank Stermole, John Stermole, and John Tilton. The World Bank, Washington, DC (2006). 296 pp. + xx (2007). Index ISBN-13: 978-0-8213-6502-1 ISBN-10: 0-8213-6502-9. Resources Policy, vol 32(3), pp 146-147Google Scholar
  9. 9.
    MacKie-Mason, J.K.: Some nonlinear tax effects on asset values and investment decisions under uncertainty. J. Public Econ. 42, 301–327 (1990)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  10. 10.
    Samis, M., Davis, G.A., Laughton, D.: Using stochastic DCF and real option Monte Carlo simulation to analyze the impacts of contingent taxes on mining projects. In: Proceedings, Project Evaluation 2007, AusIMM, Melbourne, Australia, 19–20 June 2007, pp 127–138 (2007)Google Scholar
  11. 11.
    Whittle, J.: A decade of open pit mine planning and optimization-the craft of turning algorithms into packages. In: Proceedings APCOM 1999 Computer Applications in the Minerals Industries 28th International Symposium, pp. 15–24 (1999)Google Scholar
  12. 12.
    Paricheh, M., Osanloo, M.: A simulation-based risk management approach to locating facilities in open-pit mines under price and grade uncertainties. Simul. Model. Pract. Theory 89, 119–134 (2018)CrossRefGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020

Authors and Affiliations

  • Hamid Mergani
    • 1
    Email author
  • Morteza Osanloo
    • 1
  • Morteza Parichehp
    • 1
  1. 1.Department of Mining and Metallurgical EngineeringAmirkabir University of TechnologyTehranIran

Personalised recommendations