A Comprehensive Characterization of Stress Relaxed ZnO Thin Film at Wafer Level
- 71 Downloads
The chapter goes onto explore the impact of sputtering parameters on structural, optical, and mechanical properties of reactive magnetron sputtered ZnO thin film. Stress relaxed and room temperature deposited ZnO film is highly desirable from fabrication aspects. Oxygen partial pressure is varied from 30 to 60% and c-axis oriented ZnO (002) thin films are prepared at room temperature. The stress varies in −0.06 × 109 to −2.27 × 109 dyne/cm2 range, and compressive in nature. A detailed characterization of ZnO sputtered film is carried out in order to correlate the mechanical, structural, and optical properties of thin film. A theoretical model has been proposed to understand the consequences of oxygen-induced stress in ZnO thin films. It is established that nearly stress-free, single-phase, and highly c-axis oriented ZnO thin film can be deposited using a unique combination of sputter parameters.
KeywordsZinc oxide Characterization Stress Sputtering Oxygen partial pressure
Authors are thankful to Director CSIR-CEERI Pilani for continuous support and encouragement. This research work was supported by the 12th Plan network project PSC-0102 (R-Nano). Mr. Arvind Kumar Singh and Mr. Prateek Kothari helped to maintain ZnO sputtering machine.
- Conchon F, Renault PO, Goudeau P, Le Bourhis E, Sondergard E, Barthel E, Grachev S, Gouardes E, Rondeau V, Gy R, Lazzari R, Jupille J, Brun N (2010) X-ray diffraction analysis of thermally-induced stress relaxation in ZnO films deposited by magnetron sputtering on (100) Si substrates. Thin Sol Films 518:5237CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Engelmark F, Fucntes G, Katardjiev IV, Harsta A, Smithand U, Berg S (2000). Synthesis of highly oriented piezoelectric AlN films by reactive sputter deposition. J Vac Sci Technol A 18:1609Google Scholar
- Krupanidhi SB, Sayer M (1984) Position and pressure effects in RF magnetron reactive sputter deposition of piezoelectric zinc oxide. J Appl Phys 56:3308Google Scholar
- Kunj S, Sreenivas K (2016) Residual stress and defect content in magnetron sputtered ZnO films grown on unheated glass substrates. Curr Appl Phys 16:748Google Scholar
- Li YF, Yao B, Lu YM, Cong CX, Zhang ZZ, Gai YQ, Zheng CJ, Li BH, Wei ZP, Shen DZ, Fan XW, Xiao L, Xu SC, Liu Y (2007) Characterization of biaxial stress and its effect on optical properties of ZnO thin films. Appl Phys Lett 91:021915Google Scholar
- Stoney GG (1909) The tension of metallic films deposited by electrolysis. Proc R Soc London Ser A 82:172Google Scholar