Optimized Renewable Energy Use in Green Cloud Data Centers
- 473 Downloads
The huge energy consumption of cloud data centers not only increases costs but also carbon emissions associated with such data centers. Powering data centers with renewable or green sources of energy can reduce brown energy use and consequently carbon emissions. However, powering data centers with these energy sources is challenging, as they are variable and not available at all times. In this work, we formulate the microservices management problem as finite Markov Decision Processes (MDP) to optimise renewable energy use. By dynamically switching off non-mandatory microservices and scheduling battery usage, upon the user’s preference, our proposed method makes a trade-off between the workload execution and brown energy consumption. We evaluate our proposed method using traces derived from two real workloads and real-world solar data. Simulated experiments show that, compared with baseline algorithms, our proposed approach performs up to 30% more efficiently in balancing the brown energy usage and workload execution.
This work is partially supported by Monash Infrastructure Research Seed Fund Grant and FIT Early Career Researcher Seed Grant.
- 4.Goiri, Í., Katsak, W., Le, K., Nguyen, T.D., Bianchini, R.: Parasol and GreenSwitch: managing datacenters powered by renewable energy. In: ACM SIGARCH Computer Architecture News, vol. 41, pp. 51–64. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Han, Z., Tan, H., Chen, G., Wang, R., Chen, Y., Lau, F.C.M.: Dynamic virtual machine management via approximate Markov decision process. In: Proceedings of the 35th Annual IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), pp. 1–9 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Liu, Z., et al.: Renewable and cooling aware workload management for sustainable data centers. In: ACM SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review, vol. 40, pp. 175–186. ACM (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Shaw, R., Howley, E., Barrett, E.: A predictive anti-correlated virtual machine placement algorithm for green cloud computing. In: 2018 IEEE/ACM 11th International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing, pp. 267–276. IEEE (2018)Google Scholar
- 13.Xu, M., Buyya, R.: Energy efficient scheduling of application components via brownout and approximate Markov decision process. In: Maximilien, M., Vallecillo, A., Wang, J., Oriol, M. (eds.) ICSOC 2017. LNCS, vol. 10601, pp. 206–220. Springer, Cham (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-69035-3_14CrossRefGoogle Scholar