5G Channel Propagation at 28 GHz in Indoor Environment
The propagation characteristics for the 5G wideband channel based on the path loss model and time dispersion parameters have been presented in this paper. The power degradation has been investigated based on path loss, while the RMS delay spread is used to investigate the time dispersion of 5G channel at 28 GHz frequency for Indoor environment. Extensive measurements have been conducted using wideband channel sounder within 1 GHz bandwidth. Omnidirectional transmitter and highly-directional receiver horn antennas are used for co- and cross-polarized antenna configurations. Results shown that the path loss exponent is 0.9 for Vertical-Vertical (V-V) and 1.8 Vertical-Horizontal (V-H) Polarizations. The mean value for the attenuation factor due to the cross-polarization antenna configuration is 11.9 dB, which represents the discrimination factor (XPD). The time dispersion results found that the Root Mean Square (RMS) delay spread values vary between 0.3 ns to 11 ns and between 0.3 ns to 6.4 ns for Vertical-Vertical (V-V) and Vertical-Horizontal (V-H) Polarizations, correspondingly.
Keywords28 GHz Path loss RMS delay spread 5G mobile system Polarizations
The authors would like to thank the Research Management Centre (RMC) at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia for funding this work under Vot.04E21. Also, the authors would like to acknowledge the UTM research grant (Vot 4J218), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
- 6.Haneda, K., Jarvelainen, J., Karttunen, A., Kyro, M., Putkonen, J.: Indoor short-range radio propagation measurements at 60 and 70 GHz. In: The 8th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2014), pp. 634–638 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Murdock, J.N., Rappaport, T.S., Heath Jr., R.W., Daniels, R.C.: Millimeter Wave Wireless Communications, 1st edn. Prentice Hall, New Jersey (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Deng, S., Samimi, M.K., Rappaport, T.S.: 28 GHz and 73 GHz millimeter-wave indoor propagation measurements and path loss models. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Communication Workshop (ICCW), pp. 1244–1250. IEEE, June 2015Google Scholar
- 9.MacCartney, G.R., Deng, S., Rappaport, T.S.: Indoor office plan environment and layout-based mm wave path loss models for 28 GHz and 73 GHz. In: 2016 IEEE 83rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), pp. 1–6, May 2016Google Scholar
- 11.Al-Samman, A.M., Rahman, T.A., Azmi, M. H.: Indoor corridor wideband radio propagation measurements and channel models for 5G millimeter- wave wireless communications at 19 GHz, 28 GHz and 38 GHz Bands. Wirel. Commun. Mob. Comput. 2018 (2018)Google Scholar
- 13.Brochure, S.: Keysight technologies 5G channel sounding, reference solution. http://about.keysight.com/en/newsroom/pr/2015/30jul-em15109.shtml
- 17.Rappaport, T.S.: Wireless Communication Principles and Practice. Prentice-Hall Inc., New Jersey (2002)Google Scholar