Obtaining Health Care as an International Retiree Living in Cuenca, Ecuador and San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Because of their age, retirees often have chronic illnesses, use health care services frequently, and consequently consider health care access a greater priority than do younger persons. Therefore, we anticipated that the availability of quality health care would be important to international retirees who are living abroad in Latin America.
- Alcalde-Rabanal, J., Becerril-Montekio, V., Montañez-Hernandez, J., Espinosa-Henao, O., Lozano, R., García-Bello, L., Lagunas-Alarcon, E., & Torres-Grimaldo, A. (2017). Primary Health Care Systems (PRIMASYS): Case study from Mexico. Geneva: World Health Organization. License: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO.Google Scholar
- Álvarez, M. G., Guerrero, P. O., & Herrera, L. P. (2017). Estudio sobre los impactos socio-económicos en Cuenca de la migración residencial de norteamericanos y europeos: Aportes para una convivencia armónica local (Informe final). Cuenca: Avance Consultora.Google Scholar
- Andrews, M. (2019, July 18). Dream of retiring abroad? The reality: Medicare doesn’t travel well. New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/18/business/medicare-retire-abroad.html. Accessed 19 July 2019.
- Bickel, D. (2017). ‘Missing’ friend found dead in his home. Mexico News Daily. https://mexiconewsdaily.com/opinion/missing-friend-found-dead-in-his-home/. Accessed 26th July 2019.
- Bustamante, A. V., Laugesen, M., Caban, M., & Rosenau, P. (2012). United States-Mexico cross-border health insurance initiatives: Salud Migrante and Medicare in Mexico. Revista Panamerica de Salud Pública. SciFLO Public Health, 31(1), 74–80. https://www.scielosp.org/article/rpsp/2012.v31n1/74-80/en/. Accessed July 26th, 2019.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gokhale, K. (2013). Heart surgery in India for $1,583 Costs $106,385 in U.S. Bloomberg Business News. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-28/heart-surgery-in-india-for-1-583-costs-106-385-in-u-s-. Accessed 19 July 2019.
- Government of Mexico. (2019). Reform of Seguro Popular will contribute to the creation of a national health system. https://www.gob.mx/salud/en/articulos/reform-of-seguro-popular-will-contribute-to-the-creation-of-a-national-health-system?idiom=en. Accessed 5 July 2019.
- Lucio, R., Villacres, N., & Henriquez, R. (2011). Health system of Ecuador. Salud Pública de México, 54(2S), 177–187.Google Scholar
- Miller, L. J., & Lu, W. (2018). These are the economies with the most (and Least) efficient health care. Bloomberg News, Business. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-19/u-s-near-bottom-of-health-index-hong-kong-and-singapore-at-top. Accessed 8 Jan 2019.
- Morales, A., Miranda,P., & Zavala, M. (2019). AMLO anuncia sustituto al Seguro Popular. El Universal. https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/nacion/amlo-anuncia-sustituto-al-seguro-popular. Accessed 5 July 2019.
- National Assembly of Ecuador. (2008). Constitution of the Republic of Ecuador. Article 37, Section 1, Chapter 3; Article 358–365, Section 2, Chapter 1. Translated version. http://pdba.georgetown.edu/Constitutions/Ecuador/english08.html. Accessed 8th Jan 2019.
- Pan American Health Organization. (2017). Health in the Americas+, 2017 edition. In Summary: Regional outlook and country profiles. Washington, DC: PAHO.Google Scholar
- Villacres, T., & Mena, A. C. (2017). Payment and financial resources management for the consolidation of Ecuador’s health system: Mechanisms of payment and management of financial resources for the consolidation of the health system of Ecuador. Pan American Journal of Public Health, 41(3).Google Scholar