Health care leaders can help to improve population health, increase adoption of new technologies and medical knowledge, and improve access to services. Today’s health care environment calls for a different type of leader. A leader with an ability to stretch his or her comfortable patterns of leadership style to promote collaboration amongst a diverse group of health care providers and adopt a culture of change and continuous improvement. To help diverse trainees become more effective leaders, this chapter describes some key leadership terms and theories. In addition, it includes exercises to help trainees reflect on their current or potential future leadership activities, and uses case scenarios to help readers comprehend how they can become better effective leaders in their daily activities .
KeywordsLeadership Leadership style Collaboration Diversity Effective leaders Potential
- 1.Weiss DF, Tilin FJ, Morgan MJ. The interprofessional health care team, leadership and development. Burlington: Jones & Bartlett Publishers; 2013.Google Scholar
- 2.Bennett N, Lemoine J. What VUCA really means for you. Harv Bus Rev. 2014:92 1/2. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=2389563.
- 3.Nayar V. Three differences between Managers and Leaders. Harv Bus Rev. 2013/08. Available at: https://hbr.org/2013/08/tests-of-a-leadership-transiti.
- 5.Shell R, Moussa M. The art of woo: strategic persuasion to sell your ideas. London: Penguin Group; 2007.Google Scholar
- 6.Hersey P, Blanchard KH. Management of organizational behavior- utilizing human resources. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall; 1969.Google Scholar
- 7.Goleman D. Emotional intelligence. New York: Batman Books; 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.Myers & Briggs Foundation. MBTI Basics. https://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/. Accessed on July 21, 2017.
- 16.Stefl M. Common competencies for all healthcare managers: the healthcare leadership alliance model. p. 360–374. http://www.healthcareleadershipalliance.org/Common%20Competencies%20for%20All%20Healthcare%20Managers.pdf. Accessed on 25 Apr 2019.