Introduction to Transparency in the Academic Appointment and Promotion Processes
The purpose of this chapter is to address the “sense of secrecy” around faculty promotion and bring transparency about the process of applying for and succeeding in a faculty career. Information in this chapter will be supplemented with career reflection exercises to help readers learn how to 1) define core terms related to academic appointment and promotion processes, 2) compare data elements for a curriculum vita (C.V. or literally story of their academic life) and education or clinical portfolios (compilations of samples demonstrating teaching skills or clinical skills), and 3) become aware of common steps in submitting a promotion package. Most critically, the reader can immediately begin to document what they have accomplished and what they are now doing in medicine as content for their first academic C.V. which compiles all relevant life experience related to becoming a professional medicine.
KeywordsTransparency Promotion Career Faculty Curriculum vitae Resumé Teaching skills Clinical skills Portfolio Promotion package Experience
- 2.Kamal RCC, Blumenkranz E. What do we know about social determinants of health in the U.S. and comparable countries? https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/chart-collection/know-social-determinants-health-u-s-comparable-countries/?_sf_s=social#item-u-s-outlier-health-spending-combined-social-services-spending-similar-countries. 2018. Accessed 4 Jan 2018.
- 4.Liaison Committee on Medical Education. LCME Standards, Procedures and Notification Forms 2017; http://lcme.org/publications/. 2017. Accessed 17 Dec 2017.
- 5.Liaison Committee on Medical Education. Directory of Medical Schools. 2017.Google Scholar
- 11.American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC). Women in U.S. Academic Medicine and Science: Statistics and Benchmarking Report 2011–2012. 2017. https://www.aamc.org/members/gwims/statistics/stats12/. Accessed 10 Dec 2017.
- 12.American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC). U.S. Medical School Faculty by Gender and Race and Ethnicity, 2007–2011 Diversity in Medical Education: Facts and Figures 2012. 2017. https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload/Diversity%20in%20Medical%20Education_Facts%20and%20Figures%202012.pdf. Accessed 28 Dec 2017.
- 16.American Association of Medical Colleges. Applying to Medical School Section 5 of the AMCAS® application: Work and Activities. 2017. https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/section-5-work-and-activities/. Accessed 21 Dec 2017.
- 24.Personnel OoA. UC Davis Health Academic Personnel 2017. 2017. http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/academicpersonnel/. Accessed 29 Dec 2017.
- 25.Office of Academic Medicine, University of California, Davis. Academic Personnel Manual http://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/policies/acad-per-man/index.html. Accessed 4 Jan 2018.
- 26.Association of American Medical Colleges. Careers in Medicine https://www.aamc.org/cim/.