A Reference Conceptual Model for Virtual Network Function Online Marketplaces
- 695 Downloads
Recently, we witnessed a shift in the Networking paradigm, with large part of the network control moving from hardware to software. This move has been accompanied by an increase of interest in declarative software models (conceptual models) for the domain. Moreover, novel architectures allow services to be deployed in multiple domains. These changes call for new business models to allow the commercialization of Virtual Network Functions (VNFs). This paper proposes the creation of an ontology-based reference conceptual model to support VNF Marketplaces, allowing VNF vendors and infrastructure providers to commercialize VNFaaS (VNFs as services). The proposed reference model has been engineered by using foundational ontology techniques (UFO/OntoUML), it has been formally validated by using model simulation techniques, and it has been implemented in OWL.
KeywordsOntology-based conceptual modeling Virtual Network Function Marketplace UFO-S
This work was supported by the EPSRC grant EP/L020009/1: Towards Ultimate Convergence of All Networks (TOUCAN).
- 2.D’Oro, S., et al.: Orchestrating softwarized networks with a marketplace approach. In: Proceedings of the 14th MobiSPC)/12th FNC/Workshop, Leuven (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.de Almeida Falbo, R., Barcellos, M.P., Nardi, J.C., Guizzardi, G.: Organizing ontology design patterns as ontology pattern languages. In: Cimiano, P., Corcho, O., Presutti, V., Hollink, L., Rudolph, S. (eds.) ESWC 2013. LNCS, vol. 7882, pp. 61–75. Springer, Heidelberg (2013). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-38288-8_5CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Gkounis, D., et al.: Towards sustainable end-to-end multi-domain orchestration of softwarized 5g networks (forthcoming). IEEE Commun. Mag. Spec. Issue Future Internet: Archit. Protoc. (2018)Google Scholar
- 5.Guerson, J., et al.: OntoUML lightweight editor: a model-based environment to build, evaluate and implement reference ontologies. In: IEEE 19th EDOC Workshops. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Guizzardi, G.: Ontological foundations for structural conceptual models. CTIT, Centre for Telematics and Information Technology (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Xilouris, G., et al.: T-NOVA: a marketplace for virtualized network functions. In: Proceedings of the EuCNC 2014, Bologna (2014)Google Scholar