Energy Securitization in a Protracted Conflict Environment
This chapter focuses on energy securitization and the role energy plays in the overall securitization framework in Cyprus. The chapter supports the argument that energy securitization deserves a section of its own in the Copenhagen School analysis as it does not easily fit in any of the other sectors. At the same time, it presents evidence of how a new issue (i.e. hydrocarbons) that was not linked to historical aspects of the conflict is immediately treated as another pivotal development and as such it is incorporated in the social context, which leads to the development of new routine securitization discourses, while concurrently it contributes to the deepening of the existing political and military securitization dominating Cyprus.
KeywordsHyrdrocarbons Natural gas EEZ Cyprus Turkey Peace-pipelines
- Adamides, Constantinos, and Odysseas Christou. 2014. Beyond Hegemony: Cyprus, Energy Securitization and the Emergence of New Regional Security Complexes. In The Eastern Mediterranean in Transition: Multipolarity, Politics and Power, ed. A. Tziampiris and S. Litsas, 179–190. Burlington: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Cyprus Mail. 2019. With Turkey Violating Cyprus’ EEZ, ‘Negotiations Cannot Resume’. https://cyprus-mail.com/old/2019/05/05/with-turkey-violating-cyprus-eez-negotiations-cannot-resume/. Accessed August 11, 2019.
- e-Kathimerini. 2019a. Nicosia to Set Up Hydrocarbons Fund, March 2. Available at http://www.ekathimerini.com/238224/article/ekathimerini/news/nicosia-to-set-up-hydrocarbons-fund. Accessed July 10, 2019.
- e-Kathimerini. 2019b. Turkish FM Says Fatih Has Started Drilling ‘West of Cyprus’, June 14. http://www.ekathimerini.com/241619/article/ekathimerini/news/turkish-fm-says-fatih-has-started-drilling-west-of-cyprus. Accessed July 10, 2019.
- Reuters. 2019. Turkish Cypriots Propose Gas Cooperation After Tensions Rise, July 13. Available at https://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFKCN1U80B6. Accessed July 14, 2019.
- Tziarras, Zenonas. 2019. The New Geopolitics of the Eastern Mediterranean: An Introduction. In The New Geopolitics of the Eastern Mediterranean: Trilateral Partnerships and Regional Security, ed. Zenonas Tziarras. PRIO and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung. Report 3.Google Scholar