Desecuritization in Protracted Conflicts
This chapter focuses exclusively on desecuritization in environments dominated by routinized securitization. It examines both the top-down attempts of mainstream actors, and more importantly the under-examined audience-driven efforts and limitations. Specifically, it focuses on one hand why and how certain groups are willing and capable of breaking free of the conflict norms to engage in desecuritizing acts, and on the other the limitations they face and the main reasons why their efforts have not managed, so far, to have a major impact on the conflict. Particular emphasis is placed on the most recent and important audience-driven effort carried out by a civil society group, called Unite Cyprus Now.
KeywordsDesecuritization Bottom-up desecuritization Audience-driven desecuritization UniteCyprusNow
- Adamides, Constantinos, and Costas Constantinou. 2012. Comfortable Conflict and (Il)Liberal Peace in Cyprus. In Hybrid Forms of Peace: From the ‘Everyday’ to Post-liberalism, ed. Oliver P. Richmond and Audra Mitchell. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Adamides, Constantinos, Y. Vural, N. Peristianis, and S. Sonan. 2014. Report on Usefulness of the Piecemeal Model in the Case of Cyprus. Nicosia: Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung Foundation.Google Scholar
- Burry, Buzan, Ole Wæver, and Jaap de Wilde. 1998. Security: A New Framework for Analysis. London: Lynne Rienner.Google Scholar
- Kathimerini. 2016. ΔΗΚΟ: Στημένο σκηνικό στο Νταβός για αναβάθμιση Ακιντζί, January 21. Available at https://www.kathimerini.com.cy/gr/politiki/229710/?ctype=ar. Accessed February 7, 2017.
- Kimitris, Andreas. 2016. Νταβός: ΔΗΣΥ - ΑΚΕΛ Vs Κόμματα ενδιάμεσου χώρου. Available at https://www.sigmalive.com/news/politics/302104/ntavos-disy-akel-vs-kommata-endiamesou-xorou. Accessed February 7, 2017.
- Taylor, Paul. 2016. With Symbolic Handshake at Davos, Cyprus Leaders Ask Elite to Back Peace. Reuters. Available at https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-cyprus-talks-davos/with-symbolic-handshake-at-davos-cyprus-leaders-ask-elite-to-back-peace-idUKKCN0UZ1ZN. Accessed February 2, 2017.
- Berghof Foundation, SeeD and Interpeace. 2017. The Security Dialogue Initiative for Cyprus: Interim Research Findings and Policy Recommendations. Available at https://www.scribd.com/document/336265199/Security-Dialogue-Presentation-1. Accessed May 2, 2019.
- TVOne. Presidential Elections 2018. January 13, 2018.Google Scholar