“Certain Only of What She Didn’t Want”: Scarlett Johansson’s American Outsiders in Woody Allen’s Match Point, Scoop and Vicky Cristina Barcelona
This chapter focuses on Johansson’s three roles in Allen’s films. Johansson’s work with Allen proved to be an important and formative stage of her career as a young actress. Lamberti contends that these films provide a vital opportunity to consider Johansson’s abilities not merely as a celebrity in the making but as an actor and performer. The chapter focuses specifically on how Johansson’s youth and femininity combine to fulfil the trope of the American traveller in Europe, undergoing a formative experience in the “old world”.
- Babington, Bruce. 2001. “Introduction: British Stars and Stardom”. In British Stars and Stardom: From Alma Taylor to Sean Connery, edited by Bruce Babington, 1–28. Manchester and New York: Manchester University Press.Google Scholar
- Bradbury, Malcolm. 1978. “Second Countries: The Expatriate Tradition in American Writing.” The Yearbook of English Studies 8, American Literature Special Number: 15–39.Google Scholar
- Carlos, Marjon. 2016. “From New York to Paris, Woody’s Chicest International Muses.” Vogue, May 11. https://www.vogue.com/article/woody-allen-scarlett-johansson-penelope-cruz-diane-keaton-marion-cotillard. Accessed 21 July 2019.
- Dyer, Richard. 1979. Stars. London: BFI Publishing.Google Scholar
- Girgus, Sam B. 2008. “Vicky Cristina Barcelona.” Cineaste 34 (1): 55–57.Google Scholar
- Hollinger, Karen. 2006. The Actress: Hollywood and the Female Star. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Klevan, Andrew. 1999. Disclosures of the Everyday: Undramatic Achievement in Narrative Film. Trowbridge: Flicks Books.Google Scholar
- Michaud, Christopher. 2006. “Scarlett Johansson Could Be Woody’s Next Muse.” The New Zealand Herald, July 25. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10392857. Accessed 21 July 2019.
- Neher, Erick. 2013. “The Late Style of Woody Allen.” The Hudson Review 66 (3): 551–557.Google Scholar
- Romney, Jonathan. 2008. “Vicky Cristina Barcelona.” Film Comment 44 (4): 68–70.Google Scholar
- Scott, A. O. 2005. “London Calling, with Luck, Lust and Ambition.” The New York Times, December 28. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/28/movies/london-calling-with-luck-lust-and-ambition.html. Accessed 21 July 2019.
- Wojcik, Pamela Robertson. 2006. “The Sound of Film Acting”. Journal of Film and Video 58 (1–2): 71–83.Google Scholar