Sudden Death: A Hospital Chaplaincy Perspective
- 21 Downloads
Religion and spirituality often come into focus when people face emotional stress, physical illness or death, helping them to remain calm and peaceful even for those who do not believe in any God. The role of the Hospital Chaplain is to enable authentic conversations and committed presence with people who are dying which often includes prayer and ritual. This chapter considers the experiences of a team of Hospital Chaplains who each bring their individual Spiritual and Faith perspective and rites during the sudden death event.
- Ambulance Service Association. Community handbook: A guide to understanding the diverse faith and ethnic communities in the UK. London: ASA; 2005.Google Scholar
- Dudhwala Y. Cultural and religious issues professionals may encounter following a bereavement. Sudden: Supporting people after sudden death. 2019. http://www.suddendeath.org/uncategorised/145-cultural-and-religious-issues-professionals-may-encounter-following-a-bereavement-yunus-dudhwala. Accessed 7 May 2019.
- Henley A, Schott J. Culture, religion and patient Care in a multi-ethnic society: a handbook for professionals. London: Age Concern; 1999.Google Scholar
- Lamm M. The jewish way in death and mourning. New York: Jonathan David Publishers; 2000.Google Scholar
- Langley M. Eyewitness: religion. London: Dorling Kindersley; 2002.Google Scholar
- NatCen. British Social Attitudes: Record number of Brits with no religion. 2017. http://natcen.ac.uk/news-media/press-releases/2017/september/british-social-attitudes-record-number-of-brits-with-no-religion/. Accessed 28 May 2019.
- NHS Blood and Transplant. Faith and donation. 2019. https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/how-you-can-help/get-involved/download-digital-materials/faith-and-donation/. Accessed 16 April 2019.
- North West Ambulance Service. Working with diverse communities: A useful reference guide to understating diverse faith and ethnic communities. 2013. https://www.nwas.nhs.uk/media/325891/working_with_diverse_communities_pocket_guide_2013_v1bs.pdf. Accessed 6 May 2019.
- Rich TR. Judaism 101: Life Death and Mourning. 2011. http://www.jewfaq.org/death.htm. Accessed 16 April 2019.