Dr. Henry Morgentaler, ‘Arch-Abortionist’ and Humanist: An Unbeliever’s Pro-choice Campaign in Quebec and Canada
- 5 Downloads
For 50-year-old Dr. Henry Morgentaler, that August morning was just another day in his clinic. His medical career was highly controversial and in the national spotlight, but Morgentaler had long been convinced that abortion on demand was a necessity. He had already performed six abortions in his clinic, so for him it was a routine medical procedure in which he felt confident and well-versed.
- 1967. Humanist in Canada. Inaugural Issue, November.Google Scholar
- 1969. Humanist in Canada. Issue 8, April.Google Scholar
- 2013. ‘May God Have Mercy On His Soul’: Canadian Arch-Abortionist Henry Morgentaler Dead at 90. LifeSiteNews.com, May 29. https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/may-god-have-mercy-on-his-soul-canadian-arch-abortionist-henry-morgentaler.
- 2005. Abortion Access Has Helped Make Society Safer: Morgentaler. CBC News, June 16.Google Scholar
- Bauslaugh, Gary. 2015. Mercy and Canadian Law: The Prohibition of Assisted Suicide. Humanist Perspectives, 194.Google Scholar
- Caputo, Michael. 2008. Henry Morgentaler: Atheist Hero or Enemy of Humanity? Militant Atheism Exposed. Accessed October 8, 2018. http://atheismexposed.tripod.com/henry_morgentaler.htm#_edn1.
- Dunphy, Catherine. 1996. Morgentaler: A Difficult Hero. Toronto: Random House.Google Scholar
- Farley, John. 2008. Brock Chisholm, the World Health Organization, and the Cold War. Vancouver: UBC Press.Google Scholar
- Hamilton, Graeme. 2013. Jean Tremblay Allowed to Say a Prayer Before Council Meetings, Quebec Court Rules. National Post, May 27. Accessed February 5, 2014. http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/27/quebec-mayor-allowed-to-say-a-20-second-prayer-before-council-meetings-quebec-court-rules-after-citizen-complaint/.
- Irving, Allan. 1998. Brock Chisholm: Doctor to the World. Markham, ON: Fitzhenry and Whiteside.Google Scholar
- Jeffs, Jackie, Executive Director, Alliance for Life Ontario, Guelph. 1992. Letter to the Editor, Pro-life group slams Morgentaler. Shoreline News, October. Port Elgin.Google Scholar
- Martin, Sandra. 2013. Abortion Rights Crusader Henry Morgentaler, Revered and Hated, Dead at 90. Globe and Mail, May 29. Accessed May 11, 2018. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/abortion-rights-crusader-henry-morgentaler-revered-and-hated-dead-at-90/article12221564/.
- McArthur, Laura W. President, Right to Life Association of Toronto and Area. 1975. Letter to members, Abortion, Morgentaler and Pro-Abortionist propaganda. Right to Life Association of Toronto and Area. June.Google Scholar
- Morgentaler, Henry. 1991/1992. Be It Resolved That Abortion Is a Positive Option for Women: Yes. New Life Style Magazine (a publication of Campaign Life Coalition, Halifax, Nova Scotia), Fall/Winter.Google Scholar
- ———. 1992. Abortion and Contraception. New York: Beaufort Books.Google Scholar
- Morgentaler, Abraham. 2015. On Being the Son of Dr. Henry Morgentaler. Humanist Perspectives, 193, Summer.Google Scholar
- Parcher, Simon. 2013. Henry Morgentaler: The Man, the Hero, and His Legacy. Humanist Perspectives, 186, Autumn.Google Scholar
- Rohde, David. 1998. Sniper Attacks on Doctors Create Climate of Fear in Canada. New York Times, October 29.Google Scholar
- Shiers, Kelly. 1990. Morgentaler: Hero to Some, Butcher to Others, the 67-Year-Old Doctor Has Been the Central Figure in Canada’s Simmering Abortion Debate for Two Decades. Weekend Journal, The Mail Star, December 15.Google Scholar
- de Villiers, Marq. 1974. Globe and Mail Weekend Magazine, September 14.Google Scholar