Patient-Centered Smart Healthcare Information System
Healthcare is a complex system with many actors involved such as Patient, General Practitioner, Hospital, and Pharmacy. The focus is on the Patient, however, actors collaborate to deliver the best healthcare service to the patient. Each of the elements of the healthcare system is a separate complicated system. This paper proposed a patient-centric smart healthcare information system (PCSHIS) integrates and orchestrates Patient Records Repository, General Practitioner Information System, Pharmacy Information System, and Hospital Information System to optimize the expenses of health service delivery and to ensure the best possible healthcare. All systems are built and integrated into a prototype PCSHIS with a software platform for building applications dOS of dWare company.
KeywordsPatient-Centric smart healthcare information system Patient records repository General practitioner information system Pharmacy information system Hospital information system
This work was made possible thanks to the kind support of Mr. Damian Ivanov, founder, and CEO of dWare, who passed away during the execution of this project. He and his company graciously provided documentation, training, and access to use dOS as a platform to develop the prototype of patient-centric smart healthcare system (PCSHIS) presented in the article.
- Accenture: Insight Driven Health: Norway provides citizens health records. https://www.accenture.com/t20160428T021436Z__w__/no-en/_acnmedia/PDF-15/Accenture-Kjernejournal.pdf. Accessed 02 Nov 2018
- Bugnar, W.: e-health in Austria—an overview. In: ITAPA International Congress, October 2010. https://www.itapa.sk/data/att/667.pdf. Accessed 2 Nov 2018
- Canada Health Infoway. https://infoway-inforoute.ca/en/about-us. Accessed 2 Nov 2018
- Demiris, G. et al.: Patient-centered applications: use of information technology to promote disease management and wellness. a white paper by the amia knowledge in motion working group. J. Am. Med. Inf. Assoc. 15(1), 8–13 (2008). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2274880/CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- dOS Description, dWare website. https://www.dware.bg/index.php/products/section/products-dwareos. Accessed 02 Nov 2018
- Joint Commission International Accreditation Standards for Hospitals (2014). https://www.jointcommissioninternational.org/assets/3/7/Hospital-5E-Standards-Only-Mar2014.pdf
- NHS Website. https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/pharmacists/Pages/eps.aspx. Accessed 14 Sept 2017
- WHO—World Health Organization. https://www.who.int/ehealth/en/. Accessed 31 Oct 2018