Prediction of Odour Pollution in River Water Contaminated with Landfill Leachate Using COD and UV Absorption Indices
The quality of the source of drinking water is very important for human being. One of the parameter that is yet to be established in Malaysia is odour in the drinking water source. According to Ministry of Health Malaysia, the only acceptable limit mentioned in the drinking water standard is “no odour”. The objective of this paper is to find the correlation between odour and the other two parameters which are Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD) and organic matter. From this research the result shows that, Threshold Odour Number (TON) and COD have a strong correlation determined using Pearson’s Correlation, while the regression curve shows that, TON and COD best fit curve is cubic. Cubic model has the highest R2 value compared to the others curve. Same goes to natural organic matter, ultraviolet absorption at 254 nm wavelength (UV254) versus TON is best fitted with cubic graph and has the highest R2 value. Both of the equation acquired from the graphs can be used to predict TON value if the sample has the same condition as the one used in this study.
KeywordsCorrelation Odour COD UV254 Threshold odour number (TON) Prediction
- 2.APHA-AWWA-WEF (2005) Method 5220 D, closed reflux colorimetric method, 21st edn. Standard methods for the determination of water and wastewater/prepared and published jointly by American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association and Water Environment FederationGoogle Scholar
- 4.Bhatara V, Clark DL, Arnold LE (2010) Behavioral and nystagmus response of a hyperkinetic child to vestibular stimulation. Am J Occup Ther Off Publ Am Occup Ther Assoc 32(5):311–316. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/655045
- 5.Chowdhury AI, Ferdous T (2018) Correlation among some global parameters describing organic pollutants in river water: a case study, pp 278–289. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1341345
- 7.Easton A (2005) Method 2150B, standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. APHA-AWWA-WEF, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- 12.Tengku Ibrahim TNB, Othman F, Mahmood NZ (2017) Assessment of water quality of Sembilang River receiving effluent from controlled municipal solid waste (MSW) landfill in Selangor. In: IOP conference series: materials science and engineering, vol 210, issues 1. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/210/1/012019CrossRefGoogle Scholar