Effect of Various Grades of Na2SiO3 on Compressive Strength Development of Eggshells Powder-Based Alkaline Activated Mortar
The effect of various grades of Na2SiO3 on the compressive strength (CS) development of alkaline activated binder mortar (AABM) synthesized from eggshells powder (ESP) with curing time of up to 28 days has been investigated. Three different mixtures of AABM were synthesized from the solid material and alkaline activator solution (AAS). The solid materials consisted of source material and aggregates. ESP was used as the sole source material for the AABM. The AAS was prepared from NaOH and various grades of Na2SiO3 which was characterized by their SiO2/Na2O molar ratio of 2.064 (#1), 2.27 (#2), and 3.3 (#3), respectively. The results showed that the mixture prepared with Na2SiO3 grade #1 has a higher CS than the other two mixtures. The highest CS was 12.31 MPa at 28 days. The CS development was associated with the formation of tilleyite phase as gel binder and it is in good agreement with the XRD analysis.
KeywordsEggshell powder Geopolymer mortar Compressive strength Silica modulus Agricultural wastes
The authors gratefully acknowledge the Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia and Universiti Sains Malaysia for providing financial support through the Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (203/PAWAM/6071365) and University Bridging Grant Scheme (304/PAWAM/6316313), respectively for the undertaking of the research work.
- 3.ASTM (2013) Standard test method for compressive strength of hydraulic cement mortars (using 2-in. or [50-mm] cube specimens). Ann Book ASTM Stand 4(1):1–9Google Scholar
- 4.ASTM (2013) Standard practice for mechanical mixing of hydraulic cement pastes and mortars of plastic consistency. American Society for Testing and MaterialsGoogle Scholar
- 5.Hincke MTY, Nys J, Gautron K, Mann AB, Rodriguez N, McKee MD (2012) The eggshell: structure, composition and mineralization. Front Biosci 17(1266):80Google Scholar
- 13.Okonkwo U, Odiong I, Akpabio E (2012) The effects of eggshell ash on strength properties of cement-stabilized lateritic. Int J Sustain Constr Eng Technol 3(1):18–25Google Scholar
- 19.Shahudin MS, Ghani AAA, Zamri-Saad M, Zuki AB, Abdullah FFJ, Wahid H, Hassim HA (2018) The necessity of a heard health management programme for dairy goat farma in Malaysia. Pertanika J Trop Agric Sci 41(1):1–18Google Scholar