Numerical Investigation on the Effectiveness of a Novel Flat Truss Shape Punching Shear Reinforcement
This research aims to gain understanding of the effectiveness of a novel flat truss shaped punching shear reinforcement (FTSPSR) in enhancing the punching shear capacity of flat slab structure. The numerical analyses were performed using ANSYS Static Structure. The context of this study is the prevention of punching failure by the addition FTSPSR and the effect of varying the number of segments in the truss assembly. A total of four models were constructed for this study. The results showed that the presence of FTSPSR was able to reduce the maximum deflection in the range of 5.33–10.57%. In addition, model with 6 segments in the truss assembly performed better than the rest of the models. The ability of the novel FTSPSR to reduce the maximum deflection can be considered as a practical solution enhance the punching shear capacity and failure of flat slab structure.
KeywordsPunching shear reinforcement Flat slab Truss shape Deflection
The authors express their gratitude Universiti Sains Malaysia for providing the computer lab and facilities throughout the study.
- 1.Bartolac M, Damjanović D, Duvnjak I (2015) Punching strength of flat slabs with and without shear reinforcement. GRAĐEVINAR 67(8):771–786Google Scholar
- 2.Hassan NZ, Osman MA, El-Hashimy AM, Tantawy HK (2017) Enhancement of punching shear strength of flat slabs using shear-band reinforcement. HRBC JGoogle Scholar
- 3.Lips S, Fernandez Ruiz M, Muttoni A (2012) Experimental investigation on punching strength and deformation capacity of shear-reinforced slabs. Struct J 109(6):889–900Google Scholar
- 5.Marzouk H, Jiang D (1997) Experimental investigation on shear enhancement types for high-strength concrete plates. ACI Struct J 94(1):49–58Google Scholar
- 7.Yamada T, Nanni A, Endo K (1992) PunchingShear resistance of flat slabs: influence of reinforcement type and ratio. ACI Struct J 89(5):555–563Google Scholar