Non-climatic Challenges to Water in the Linear Economy
There are a variety of major, long-term non-climatic challenges to managing water in the linear economy including population growth and rapid urbanisation, economic growth and rising income levels, more stringent environmental legislation, the water-energy and water-food nexus, ageing infrastructure, and changing customer expectations.
KeywordsResource scarcity Water scarcity Environmental degradation Water-energy Water-food
- ASCE. “2017 Infrastructure Report Card.” (2018). https://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/.
- AWWA. “Buried No Longer: Confronting America’s Water Infrastructure Challenge.” (2017). https://www.awwa.org/Portals/0/files/legreg/documents/BuriedNoLonger.pdf.
- Brears, R. C. Blue and Green Cities: The Role of Blue-Green Infrastructure in Managing Urban Water Resources. London: Palgrave Macmillan UK, 2018.Google Scholar
- ———. Urban Water Security. Chichester, UK; Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2016.Google Scholar
- Canadian Water Network. “Balancing the Books: Financial Sustainability for Canadian Water Systems.” (2018). http://cwn-rce.ca/report/balancing-the-books-financial-sustainability-for-canadian-water-systems/.
- Carleton College. “What Is the Gulf of Mexico Dead Zone?” https://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/topics/deadzone/index.html.
- EPA Ireland. “Identification and Evaluation of Phosphorus Recovery Technologies in an Irish Context.” (2016). http://www.epa.ie/researchandeducation/research/researchpublications/researchreports/research189.html.
- Euractiv. “Time to Invest in Europe’s Water Infrastructure.” https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy-environment/opinion/time-to-invest-in-europes-water-infrastructure/.
- FAO. “The Future of Food and Agriculture-Trends and Challenges.” (2017). http://www.fao.org/3/a-i6583e.pdf.
- ———. “Towards a Water and Food Secure Future: Critical Perspectives for Policy-Makers.” (2015). http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4560e.pdf.
- Fin24. “Over a Third of SA Water Supply Lost Through Poor Infrastructure.” https://www.fin24.com/Economy/South-Africa/over-a-third-of-sa-water-supply-lost-through-poor-infrastructure-20180316.
- HSBC. “Consumer in 2050—The Rise of the Em Middle Class.” (2012). https://www.hsbc.com.vn/1/PA_ES_Content_Mgmt/content/vietnam/abouthsbc/newsroom/attached_files/HSBC_report_Consumer_in_2050_EN.pdf.
- IEA. “World Energy Outlook 2016: Water-Energy Nexus Excerpt.” (2016). https://www.iea.org/weo/weospecialreports/.
- Local Government New Zealand. “Improving New Zealand’s Water, Wastewater and Stormwater Sector.” (2015). http://www.lgnz.co.nz/assets/Uploads/29617-three-Waters-Position-Paper.pdf.
- NACWA. “Envisioning the Digital Utility of the Future.” (2017). http://www.nacwa.org/docs/default-source/conferences-events/2017-summer/17ulc-digital-utility-r6.pdf?sfvrsn=2.
- OECD. “OECD Environmental Outlook to 2050: The Consequences of Inaction.” (2012). http://www.oecd.org/env/indicators-modelling-outlooks/oecd-environmental-outlook-1999155x.htm.
- ———. “Pricing Water Resources and Water and Sanitation Services.” (2010). https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/environment/pricing-water-resources-and-water-and-sanitation-services_9789264083608-en.
- Ofwat. “Towards Water 2020—Meeting the Challenges for Water and Wastewater Services in England and Wales.” (2015). https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/pap_tec201507challenges.pdf.
- PwC. “The World in 2050: Will the Shift in Global Economic Power Continue?” (2015). http://www.pwc.com/gx/en/issues/the-economy/assets/world-in-2050-february-2015.pdf.
- Stuff. “Councils Facing $500 m Bill to Meet Stringent New Recommendations on Drinking Water Quality.” https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/103453009/councils-facing-500m-bill-to-meet-stringent-new-recommendations-on-drinking-water-quality.
- UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. “2018 Revision of World Urbanization Prospects.” (2018). https://www.un.org/development/desa/publications/2018-revision-of-world-urbanization-prospects.html.
- UNESCO. “Managing Water Under Uncertainty and risk.” (2012). http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/SC/pdf/WWDR4%20Volume%201-Managing%20Water%20under%20Uncertainty%20and%20Risk.pdf.
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. “World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision, Key Findings and Advance Tables.” (2017). https://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/Publications/Files/WPP2017_KeyFindings.pdf.
- UN-Water. “Partnerships for Improving Water and Energy Access, Efficiency and Sustainability.” (2014). http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/water_and_energy_2014/pdf/water_and_energy_2014_final_report.pdf.
- ———. “A Post-2015 Global Goal for Water: Synthesis of Key Findings and Recommendations from UN-Water.” (2014). http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/pdf/27_01_2014_un-water_paper_on_a_post2015_global_goal_for_water.pdf.
- ———. “Wastewater Management: A UN-Water Analytical Brief.” (2015). http://www.unwater.org/publications/wastewater-management-un-water-analytical-brief/.
- US EPA. “Energy Efficiency for Water Utilities.” https://www.epa.gov/sustainable-water-infrastructure/energy-efficiency-water-utilities.
- World Bank. “High and Dry: Climate Change, Water, and the Economy.” (2016). https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/23665?utm_source=Global+Waters+%2B+Water+Currents&utm_campaign=9905bbdc1e-Water_Currents_Water+Utiliti_12_dec_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fae9f9ae2b-9905bbdc1e-25803553.
- Yorkshire Water. “Water 2020 Issues Paper—Summary.” (2015). https://www.yorkshirewater.com/sites/default/files/Issues%20Paper%20%28Future%20Challenges%29%20v0.pdf.