Prediction-Based Reversible Watermarking for Safe Transfer of CT Scan Medical Images
Due to rapid development in the field of computer networks, exchange of medical records over the Internet has become common practice now-a-days. Medical records, which contain patient information and medical images, are exchanged among medical personnel for number of reasons. Discussing diagnostic and therapeutic measures is one of the main reasons of this exchange. Since patients are highly sensitive about their medical information; therefore these images require strict security. To achieve this stringent requirement digital image watermarking provides a good solution. In this paper, we present a prediction-based reversible medical image watermarking (MIW) system, which is comprised of two phases: embedding phase and extraction phase. In embedding phase, the proposed system, first divides the cover image in region of interest (ROI) and region of non-interest (RONI). Later it embeds a fragile watermark (FW) in ROI for achieving integrity control of ROI and a robust watermark (RW) in RONI for achieving security and authenticity of medical image. In extraction phase, the implanted watermarks are extracted first and then are compared with their reference watermarks to verify the integrity, security and confidentiality of the received image. We have used CT scan medical images for simulations. Experimental results show that proposed system provides better security and confidentiality for safe transfer of CT scan medical images. In addition, proposed system also outperforms the other reversible MIW techniques, which are currently reported in literature.
KeywordsPrediction-based reversible watermarking Fragile watermarking Robust watermarking Authenticity Confidentiality LSB technique
The authors are very grateful to College of Computer Science and Information Technology (CCSIT), King Faisal University, Saudi Arabia for providing the resources to carry out this research.
- 1.Jamali, M., Samavi, S., Karimi, N., Soroushmehr, S.M.R., Ward, K. Najarian, K.: Robust watermarking in non-ROI of medical images based on DCT-DWT. In: 38th IEEE Annual International Conference on Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Orlando, FL, USA, pp. 1200–1203 (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.Abbasi, F., Memon, N.A.: Reversible watermarking for security of medical image databases. In: 21st Saudi Computer Society National Computer Conference (CNN), Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (2018)Google Scholar
- 4.Rahman, A., Sultan, K., Aldhafferi, N., Alqahtani, A., Mahmud, M.: Reversible and fragile watermarking for medical images. Comput. Math. Methods Med. 2018, 7 (2018)Google Scholar
- 9.Liew, S.-C., Zain, J.M.: Reversible medical image watermarking for tamper detection and recovery with Run Length Encoding compression. In: International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology (ICCSIT 2010), pp. 417–420 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Zain, J.M., Fauzi, A.R.M.: Medical image watermarking with tamper detection and recovery. In: Proceedings of the 28th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS 2006), pp. 3270–3273 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Tjokorda Agung, B.W., Permana, F.P.: Medical image watermarking with tamper detection and recovery using reversible watermarking with LSB modification and run length encoding (RLE) compression. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communication, Networks and Satellite (ComNetSat 2012), Bali, Indonesia, pp. 167–171 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Al-Qershi, O.M., Khoo, B.E.: Authentication and data hiding using a reversible ROI-based watermarking scheme for DICOM images. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Medical Systems Engineering (ICEMSE 2009), pp. 829–834 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Abokhdair, N.O., Manaf, A.A.: A prediction-based reversible watermarking for MRI images. Int. J. Comput. Electr. Autom. Control Inf. Eng. 7(2), 328–331 (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Memon, N.A., Keerio, Z.A., Abbasi, F.: Dual watermarking of CT scan medical images for content authentication and copyright protection. In: Shaikh, F.K., Chaudhary, B.S. (eds.) Communication Technologies, Information Security and Sustainable Development, IMTIC 2013. CCIS, vol. 14, pp. 73–183. Springer, Cham (2014)Google Scholar
- 18.Navas, K.A., Sasikumar, M.: Survey of medical image watermarking algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Sciences of Electronic Technologies of Informations and Telecommunications, pp. 1–6 (2007)Google Scholar