Semantic Relatedness as an Inter-facet Metric for Facet Selection over Knowledge Graphs
Faceted Browsing is a wide-spread approach for exploratory search. Without requiring an in-depth knowledge of the domain, users can narrow down a resource set until it fits their need. An increasing amount of data is published either directly as Linked Data or is at least annotated using concepts from the Linked Data Cloud. This allows identifying commonalities and differences among resources beyond the comparison of mere string representations of metadata.
As the size of data repositories increases, so does the range of covered domains and the number of properties that can provide the basis for a new facet. Manually predefining suitable facet collections becomes impractical. We present our initial work on automatically creating suitable facets for a semantically annotated set of resources. In particular, we address two problems arising with automatic facet generation: (1) Which facets are applicable to the current set of resources and (2) which reasonably sized subset provides the best support to users?
KeywordsFaceted Browsing Knowledge graph Exploratory search
- 2.Wei, B., Liu, J., Zheng, Q., Zhang, W., Fu, X., Feng, B.: A survey of faceted search. J. Web Eng. 12(1–2), 41–64 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Schraefel, M.C., Smith, D.A., Owens, A., Russell, A., Harris, C., Wilson, M.: The evolving mSpace platform: leveraging the semantic web on the trail of the Memex. In: Proceedings of the Sixteenth ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia, HYPERTEXT 2005, pp. 174–183. ACM, New York (2005). https://doi.org/10.1145/1083356.1083391
- 6.Huynh, D., Karger, D.: Parallax and companion: set-based browsing for the data web. Technical report, Metaweb Technologies Inc. (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Heim, P., Ziegler, J., Lohmann, S.: gFacet: a browser for the web of data. In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Interacting with Multimedia Content in the Social Semantic Web (IMC-SSW 2008), Aachen (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Stadler, C., Martin, M., Auer, S.: Exploring the web of spatial data with Facete. In: Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on World Wide Web, WWW 2014 Companion, pp. 175–178. ACM, New York (2014). https://doi.org/10.1145/2567948.2577022
- 9.Arenas, M., Grau, B.C., Kharlamov, E., Marciuska, S., Zheleznyakov, D.: Faceted search over RDF-based knowledge graphs. Web Semant. Sci. Serv. Agents World Wide Web 37, (2016). https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3199228
- 11.Li, C., Yan, N., Roy, S.B., Lisham, L., Das, G.: Facetedpedia: dynamic generation of query-dependent faceted interfaces for wikipedia. In: Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on World Wide Web, WWW 2010, pp. 651–660. ACM, New York (2010). https://doi.org/10.1145/1772690.1772757