A Benchmark for Innovation
To understand the strengths and weaknesses in innovation management, it was considered appropriate to examine the current best in class.
The 2018 GII listed the countries in the world with the greatest innovative potential, giving them a score and defining their distinctive criteria at macroeconomic level.
Today, the countries of northern Europe are in the top ten, even though they have an entrepreneurial fabric similar to the most technologically backward countries; in this regard, in the author’s opinion exist further motivations that allow them to achieve this great result. Therefore, this chapter aims to highlight the motivations and possible strategies that have made companies in these countries leaders in the field of innovation. The analysis then focuses on the features that allow them to achieve an extremely rapid level of development—from innovative start-ups to scale-ups—as well as the conditions that provide a potentially favorable environmental context.
- Cornell University, INSEAD, WIPO (2018) Global innovation index 2018. Energizing the world with innovation, IthacaGoogle Scholar
- Institut Économique Molinari (2018) The tax burden of typical workers in the EU 28. Paris-Bruxelles. Available at: https://www.institutmolinari.org/IMG/pdf/tax-burden-eu-2018.pdf
- Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR) (2017) Gli immatricolati nell’a.a. 2016/2017 il passaggio dalla scuola all’università dei diplomati nel 2016. Published online the 4th of August 2017. Available at: http://www.miur.gov.it/-/focus-gli-immatricolati-nell-a-a-2016-2017-il-passaggio-dalla-scuola-all-universita-dei-diplomati-nel-2016-
- Mind The Bridge (2018) Tech scaleup Europe. SEP Monitor. Available at: https://mindthebridge.com/tech-scaleup-europe-sep-monitor-2018/
- OECD (2019) Statistics. Available online at: https://stats.oecd.org/
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Available at http://www.oecd.org/
- Rangone A (2018) La Logica d’Impresa. Fenomeni e Relazioni di Influenza nell’Attuale Contesto Economico. Roma, Aracne EditriceGoogle Scholar
- Swedish Higher Education Authority (2016) Higher education in Sweden. 2016 status report. Available at: https://english.uka.se/download/18.5d85793915901d205f916275/1487932593678/statusreport-statistics-higher-education-sweden-2016.pdf
- The World Bank (2019) Doing business project—database. Available at: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/IC.TAX.PRFT.CP.ZS?locations=DK-FI-IT-SE-NOGB&view=chart