Study on Simulation and Measurement of EMF in Transmission Underground Cables
In this paper the finite element analysis method and the experiment when mitigating the magnetic field generated by underground power cables are analyzed. We installed a mock test line and measurement system to obtain the magnetic field data. Based on simulations made with the finite elements method software Maxwell 2D this paper presents mitigation offered by Aluminium plates.
A 154 kV Power cable is installed on mock test line in a phase loop shape. And the current source is connected to control the conductor current. In addition, we measured the phase difference between the conductor current and the sheath circulating current using Ni-DAQ. The magnetic field around the power cable measured by the EFA-300 device. Finally, a measurement system was installed to enable synchronized data acquisition in real time using NI-lab view program. In the mock line, the measured results obtained at a distance of 1M above the ground. The measured EMF data were compared with the simulation data. As a result, the difference between the magnetic value and the simulation value was about 3%.
KeywordsEMF Underground cables Measurement vs. simulation
- 1.EPRI Report EL-7340-D: Single Conductor Transmission Cable Magnetic Fields PR 7898-29, August 1991Google Scholar
- 2.EPRI Report TR-102003: Transmission Cable Magnetic Field Management PR 7898-37, September 1993Google Scholar
- 3.Farang, A.S., Al-Sheri, A.M., Bakhashwain, J., Cheng, T.C., Zheng, G., Curci, V., Ghaemi, M., Khajavi, M.: Magnetic field modeling and management for transmission underground cables. In: Proceedings of the Ji-Cable’95, Paris, June, pp. 596–601 (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.CIGRE TB 373: Mitigation Techniques of Power Frequency Magnetic Fields Originated from Electric Power Systems, February 2009Google Scholar
- 7.CIGRE WG B1.23: Impact of Electromagnetic Fields on Current Rating and Cable Systems. EMF-ELF 2011: D-O-01, March 2011Google Scholar
- 8.Brakelmann, H.: SC-IEC Cables - Single Core Cables with Integrated Electromagnetic Shielding. JICABLE, B.1.3, pp. 394–398, June 2011Google Scholar