Research on a New Type of Fault Current Limiter Based on High Coupled Split Reactor
With the rapid development of the power system, the short circuit current level has increased sharply. In order to ensure security, stability and reliable operation of power system, the fault current limiter (FCL) is one of the effective measures to limit short-circuit current. The use of high coupled split reactor (HCSR) to achieve limit and interruption of large current is a new technique emerged in recent years. The FCL based on HCSR has many advantages compared with other types of FCL, but it puts big pressure on the insulation design of HCSR and affects the recovery voltage of fast mechanical switch. The paper proposes an improved FCL topology, which retains the advantages of HCSR and on the other hand reducing the insulation requirements for HCSR. Focusing on the FCL based on HCSR, a simulation model is established to analyse the effect of current limiting and over-voltage under different working conditions. The effect of current limiting of FCL is in line with the expected results, and setting capacitors in parallel with FCL is an effective method to reduce the rate of rise of recovery voltage (RRRV) of main switch.
KeywordsFault current limiter HCSR Recovery voltage
This Project was supported by National Key R&D Program of China (2018YFB0904300), and the Science and Technology Project of China Southern Power Grid Co., Ltd. (GZHKJXM20180055).
- 1.Yuan, Z., Yin, X., Pan, Y., He, J.: Current dividing process of paralleled circuit breakers with high coupled split reactor. High Voltage Eng. 38(8), 2008–2014 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Yin, T., Chen, X., Du, Y.: Design of large-capacity high-voltage breakers using tightly-coupled reactor. High Voltage Eng. 36(6), 1577–1582 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, X., Yin, T., Pan, Y.: High voltage and large capacity vacuum circuit breakers with series-parallel structure. High Voltage Eng. 37(12), 3157–3163 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Du, Y., Chen, X., Liu, F., et al.: Design of a novel parallel circuit breakers. In: International Conference on Electrical and Control Engineering, pp. 3558–3560. IEEE Computer Society, Wuhan (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Hongshun, L., Qingmin, L., Jie, L.: Impact of inductive FCL on the RRRV of circuit breakers. Trans. China Electrotechnical Soc. 22(12), 84–91 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Szewczyk, M., Kulas, S.: Investigation on circuit breaker influence on transient recovery voltage. In: 42nd International Universities Power Engineering Conference, pp. 1036–1043. IEEE, Brighton (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, J., Li, F., Han, J.: Effects of 500 kV bus sectionalizing reactor on transient recovery voltage and countermeasures. High Voltage Apparatus 50(10), 63–69 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Geng, S., Zhang, J., Zhang, M.: Influence of serial-resonant FCL on the characteristics of circuit breakers during short-circuit faults. Power Syst. Prot. Control 37(18), 32–37 (2009)Google Scholar