LPS and Grounding System for Light Rail Transit in Tropical Area with High Lightning Density
Palembang Light Rail Transit structure is higher than surrounding object, so it is definitely an easy target for lightning strike. So far, the early streamer emission air terminals only protect stations and important objects in viaduct such as signal and telecommunication poles, and most of the track will be an easy target for lightning strike. If it is hit by a direct strike, there will be very high voltage elevation because the grounding is installed on every 5 piers, in fact it can even reach 12 MV. Installation of grounding on each pier will lower the voltage elevation by 57%. Besides the threat of direct strikes, the voltage can arise from BTS tower and 70 kV transmission wire induction when that objects are struck by lightning. To overcome the threat due to direct strikes and induction, we can install Overhead Ground Wire above the track. Foundation grounding systems significantly reduce the grounding resistance, thus it is the best choice for structure like Palembang Light Rail Transit.
KeywordsLightning Light Rail Transit Easy target Protection Grounding
The authors wish to acknowledge PT. Anaya Berkah Cemerlang for the opportunity given to carry out the research concerning improvement of the protection and grounding system in Palembang Light Rail Transit.
- 1.MRT lightning incident: Did you know Singapore is known as the ‘lightning capital’?, https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/mrt-train-on-east-west-line-struck-by-lightning-did-you-know-singapore-is-also-known-as. Accessed 10 Jan 2019
- 2.Zoro, R.: Proteksi Sistem Tenaga: Proteksi Terhadap Tegangan Lebih pada Sistem Tegangan Listrik. ITB, Bandung (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Zoro, R.: Lightning characteristic and weather condition in the tropics measured in Mnt. Tangkuban Perahu. Ph.D. dissertation, Post Graduate Faculty of Institut Teknologi Bandung. Bandung, Indonesia (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.IEC 62305-3. Protection Against Lightning - Part 3: Physical Damage to Structures and Life Hazard. IEC, Geneva (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Denov B.: Sistem proteksi petir pada light rail transit. ITB, Bandung (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.Zoro, R., Pakki, R.R., Komar, R.: Lightning protection for electric railway in Indonesia telecommunication and signalling system. In: 2017 International Conference on High Voltage Engineering and Power System, pp. 476–478. IEEE, Piscataway (2017). https://doi.org/10.1109/ichveps.2017.8225893
- 8.ANSI/IEEE Std 80. IEEE Guide for Safety in AC Substation Grounding. IEEE, Piscataway (1986)Google Scholar
- 11.Kostic, M.B., Jovanovic, M.S.: A new approach of determining grounding resistance of one class of complex grounding systems. Publ. Faculty Electr. Eng. Univ. Belgrade 120, 1–11 (1987). Ser. Pow. BelgradeGoogle Scholar