Context-Driven Tourist Trip Planning Support System: An Approach and OpenStreetMap-Based Attraction Database Formation
The number of tourists has significantly increased recently. In 2016, the total number of tourists in the world became more than one billion. People travel around the world and they are interested in new information systems that could save their time and money and provide additional context-related information about the location. Evolution of information and communication technologies and geographical information systems enables creating new information systems for tourists that provide them with a higher level of user experience. Today every tourist has a smartphone that can acquire information from various sensors and provide a comfortable interface to such information systems. The paper proposes an approach to the development of a tourist trip planning support system that is aimed at trip generation based on tourist’s preferences and context information in the considered region. Since Internet access might not be available in some places and downloading large volumes of information abroad can be expensive, it is proposed to prepare the attraction database offline, download it to the user smartphone and utilize it during the trip. For the database formation, it is proposed to use OpenStreetMap service to collect information about attractions and Wikipedia service for extraction of the media content about these. The prototype of the tourist trip planning support system has been implemented for Android-based smartphone and tested by a group of tourists in St. Petersburg. Furthermore, the system is capable to dynamically connect with vehicle infotainment systems to enhance the quality of interaction with the tourist.
KeywordsTourism Context Information and communication technologies GIS
The related research and reference model of the tourist trip planning system have been carried out in the scope of Grant № 18-37-00337 of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research. The attraction managing and delivery services have been developed in the scope of Grant № 17-29-03284 of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research. The overall scheme of the on-board dynamic tour support system has been developed in the scope of Ford University Research Program. Implementation of the tourist trip planning system has been done in the scope of Project № 618268 supported by ITMO University.
- 1.World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) (2017) Tourism highlights, p 16Google Scholar
- 6.Santos F, Almeida A, Martins C, Gonçalves R, Martins J (2017) Using POI functionality and accessibility levels for delivering personalized tourism recommendations. Comput Environ Urban Syst. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.COMPENVURBSYS.2017.08.007CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Al-Rayes K, Sevkli A, Al-Moaiqel H, Al-Ajlan H, Al-Salem K, Al- Fantoukh N (2011) A mobile tourist guide for trip planning. IEEE Multidiscip Eng Educ Mag 6(4):1–6Google Scholar
- 8.Vdovenko A, Lukovnikova A, Marchenkov S, Sidorcheva N, Polyakov S, Korzun D (2012) World around me client for Windows Phone devices. In: The 11th conference of Open Innovations Association FRUCT and 1st regional seminar on mobile healthcare, early diagnostics and fitness, St-Petersburg, Russia, pp 206–208Google Scholar
- 11.Mikhailov S, Kashevnik A (2018) Smartphone-based tourist trip planning system: a context-based approach to offline attraction recommendation. In: Ronzhin AL, Shishlakov VF (ed) 13th international scientific-technical conference on electromechanics and robotics “Zavalishin’s Readings” (ER(ZR)-2018), MATEC web of conferences, vol 161. EDP Sciences, p 03026CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Shilov N, Kashevnik A, Mikhailov S (2018) Context-aware generation of personalized audio tours: approach and evaluation. In: Karpov A, Jokisch O, Potapova R (eds) 20th international conference on speech and computer (SPECOM 2018). Lecture notes in artificial intelligence, vol 11096. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland, pp 615–624CrossRefGoogle Scholar