Analysis and Forecasting of the Likely Development of the Digital Economy in Modern Russia
Purpose: The purpose of this chapter is to study socioeconomic problems and perspectives on the development of the cyber economy in modern Russia, as well as to present the results of research into the implementation of the program for the digital economy.
Design/methodology/approach: An analysis of data from a range of national and international reports, documents, and programs devoted to innovative development of the digital economy allowing an identification of the key vectors for the strategic development of socioeconomic processes of Russia.
Findings: The analysis shows that implementation of a complex program of digitization has serious obstacles to overcome, caused by factors that hinder the development of the key spheres of economy and a transition to the new technological mode (drawbacks in the regulatory and normative environment, low Internet coverage, insufficient implementation of digital technologies into the national system of education, low level of digitization in local administrations, growth of cybercrime rates, and insufficient effectiveness of scientific research connected to creation of prospective information technologies).
Originality/value: Requirements for the digitization of certain spheres of the economy are substantiated and characterized, and target indicators for implementing the program of the digital economy in Russia by 2024 are offered.
KeywordsCyber economy Globalization Information technologies Internet Digitization I-DESI index Development scenarios
JEL CodeО-31 О-32 О-33 О-35
- Alekseev I (2018) Digital economy: peculiarities and tendencies of development of online interaction. https://intelaktive-peus.ru. Accessed 04 March 2019
- Gashenko IV, Zima YS, Davidyan AV (2019) Optimization of the taxation system: preconditions, tendencies and perspectives. https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-3-030-01514-5. Accessed 22 June 2019
- Gosbook (2016) Development of digital economy in Russia. http://gosbook.ru/node/94904. Accessed 04 March 2019
- Keshelava АV, Budanov VG, Rumyantsev VY (2017) Introduction into digital economy. In: All-Russia research institute of geological, geophysical, and geochemical systems, p 28Google Scholar
- Kungurov D (2016) Russians to face digital economy. Utro.ru. https://utro.ru/articles/2016/12/04/1307336.shtml. Accessed 04 March 2019
- Nizhny Novgorod. Professionalnaya Nauka Publ (2018) Development of digital economy in Russia as the key factor of economic growth and increase of population’s standards: monograph. Nizhny Novgorod. Professionalnaya Nauka Publ, p 230Google Scholar
- Popkova EG, Ostrovskaya VN (2019) Perspectives on the use of new information and communication technology (ICT) in the modern economy. https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-3-319-90835-9. Accessed 22 June 2019
- Program (2017) “Digital economy of the Russian Federation”. Decree of the government of the Russian Federation no. 1632-r dated July 28, 2017Google Scholar
- Revolutionizing Business (2016) Harvard business review. International digital economy and society index (I-DESI). European CommissionGoogle Scholar
- RIA Novosti (2018). https://ria.ru/science/20170616/1496663946.html. Accessed 04 March 2019
- Shomakhova ZА (2017) Digital economy – successful future. Volume: problems and perspectives of economic development of regions. Collection of articles of all-Russia scientific and practical conference devoted to 45th anniversary of the Institute of Economics and Finance, p 180Google Scholar
- Shvab K (2017) The fourth industrial revolution. E Publ., Мoscow, p 16Google Scholar
- Sukhodolov AP, Popkova EG, Litvinova TN (2019) The main components of well-balanced information economy. https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/978-1-78756-287-520181022. Accessed 22 June 2019
- The Future of Productivity (2015) Preliminary version. The new high-tech strategy. Innovations for Germany. Federal Ministry of EducationGoogle Scholar
- Tsvetkov VА, Stepnov IМ, Kovalchuk YА, Zoidov KK (2016) Dynamics of development of economic systems. In: Tsvetkov VA (ed) Central Economic Mathematical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences/Institute of Market Issues of the Russian Academy of Sciences, p 380Google Scholar
- Tsvetkov VА, Zuyadullaev NS, Zoidov KK, Yankauskas KS (2018a) Problems and perspectives of development of the digital economy in Russia. Strategic trends of transformation of socio-economic systems within the digital economy. In: Tsvetkov VA, Zoidov KK (ed) Proceedings of the international scientific and practical conference. February 27–28, 2018. Institute of Market Issues of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, pp 207–215Google Scholar
- Tsvetkov VА, Loginov ЕL, Zoidov KK (2018b) Digitization in Russia. Research work report. Institute of Market Issues of the Russian Academy of Sciences, p 30Google Scholar
- World Bank (2016) World development report 2016. “Digital dividends”. https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/23347/210. Accessed 04 March 2019