Compound Dirichlet Processes
The compound Poisson process and the Dirichlet process are the pillar structures of renewal theory and Bayesian nonparametric theory, respectively. Both processes have many useful extensions to fulfill the practitioners’ needs to model the particularities of data structures. Accordingly, in this contribution, we join their primal ideas to construct the compound Dirichlet process and the compound Dirichlet process mixture. As a consequence, these new processes have a rich structure to model the time occurrence among events, with also a flexible structure on the arrival variables. These models have a direct Bayesian interpretation of their posterior estimators and are easy to implement. We obtain expressions of posterior distribution, nonconditional distribution, and expected values. In particular, to find these formulas, we analyze sums of random variables with Dirichlet process priors. We assess our approach by applying our model on a real data example of a contagious zoonotic disease.
KeywordsBayesian nonparametrics Renewal theory Compound poisson process Dirichlet process Random sums
We thank the editor and two anonymous reviewers for their useful comments which significantly improved the presentation and quality of the paper. The first author is grateful to Prof. Ramsés Mena for the valuable suggestions on an earlier version of the manuscript. This research was partially supported by a DGAPA Postdoctoral Scholarship.
- 7.Coen, A., Gutierrez, L., Mena, R.H.: Modeling failures times with dependent renewal type models via exchangeability. Submited (2018)Google Scholar
- 16.Ferguson, T.S.: Bayesian density estimation by mixtures of normal distributions. Recent Advances in Statistics, pp. 287–302 (1983). https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-589320-6.50018-6CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Kingman, J.F.C.: Poisson Processes. Oxford Studies in Probability. Clarendon Press, Oxford (1992)Google Scholar
- 24.Kovalenko, I.N., Pegg, P.A.: Mathematical Theory of Reliability of Time Dependent Systems With Practical Applications. Wiley Series in Probability and Statistics: Applied Probability and Statistics. Wiley, Hoboken (1997)Google Scholar
- 36.Tokdar, S.T.: Posterior consistency of Dirichlet location-scale mixture of normals in density estimation and regression. Sankhy Indian J. Stat. (2003–2007) 68(1), 90–110 (2006)Google Scholar
- 38.World Health Organization: WHO Expert Consultation on Rabies: Third Report. World Health Organization, Geneva (2018). 92 4 120931 3Google Scholar