An Open Vehicle Routing Problem for Daily Shipment Plan of a Local Bedding Company in Turkey
This study deals with a daily shipment plan for a bedding company in Turkey. We develop a decision support system optimizing total travel distance of vehicles completing daily shipment plans. In detail, the developed models both assign the shipment goods to capacitated vehicles as well as minimize the total travel distance of these vehicles by considering an open vehicle routing algorithm. The decision support system is coded by using the MS excel-macro and a user friendly tool is developed for users’ convenience. In the developed tool, there are two different solution approaches: a mixed integer mathematical programming and a heuristic solution approaches. For the small size plans (i.e. less than 25 demand points) mathematical modelling guaranteeing the optimal solution can be utilized. For the large size cases the heuristic algorithm providing a near-optimal result promptly can be utilized. The macro-based tool is designed such a flexible way that the user can make any revisions on the provided plan whenever necessary.
KeywordsOpen vehicle routing Daily shipment plan Capacitated vehicle routing Optimization Decision support system
We would like to thank our colleagues Batuhan Taş and Atakan Türkyılmaz, and our company supervisor Süleyman Çolak for their kind support and contribution to this study.
- 1.Joubert, J.W.: The Vehicle Routing Problem: Origins and Variants. PhD Thesis, University of Pretoria etd, South Africa (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Gajpal, Y.: Algorithms for vehicle routing problem with pickup and delivery, PhD Thesis, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, May 2008Google Scholar
- 3.Fisher, M.L., Jaikumar, R.: A Generalized Assıgnment Heuristic for Vehicle Routing, August 1979Google Scholar
- 6.Galić, A., Carić, T., Fosin, J.: The case study of implementing the delivery optimization system at a fast-moving consumer goods distributor. Promet Traffic Transp. 25(6), 595–603 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Şeker, Ş., Güneri, A.F., Ermiş, G.: Solving the multi depot vehicle routing problem with assignment algorithm. In: 13th International Research/Expert Conference “Trends in the Development of Machinery and Associated Technology”, Hammamet, pp. 225–228, October 2009Google Scholar
- 9.Daanish, A.R., Naick, B.K.: Implementation of charging station based electric vehicle routing problem using nearest neighbour search algorithm. In: 2nd IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Engineering (ICITE), September 2017Google Scholar