Measuring the Rule of Law in Mexico
This chapter provides an introduction to the framework used by the World Justice Project (WJP) to measure the rule of law in more than a hundred countries around the world. This framework was adapted to produce a subnational index within Mexico. The WJP measures the rule of law using composite indicators based on outcomes that reflect the experiences and perceptions of the general public and in-country experts. Eight factors are considered in the WJP index: (i) constraints on government powers, (ii) absence of corruption, (iii) open government, (iv) fundamental rights, (v) order and security, (vi) regulatory enforcement, (vii) civil justice, and (viii) criminal justice. This chapter explains the process through which the WJP gathers and analyzes the data necessary to measure the rule of law, and concludes with lessons learned from this exercise.
KeywordsComposite indicator Index Rule of law Factors Justice Accountability Open government Security Corruption Fundamental rights Surveys Outcomes Regulation
- Acemoğlu, D.; Robinson, J.A. (2016). Paths to Inclusive Political Institutions; at: https://economics.mit.edu/files/11338.
- Botero J.C.; Ponce A. (2011). “Measuring the Rule of Law”. The World Justice Project; at: https://worldjusticeproject.org/our-work/publications/working-papers/measuring-rule-law.
- Carothers, T. (Ed.) (2010). Promoting the Rule of law abroad: in search of knowledge (Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institution Press).Google Scholar
- Cejudo G. (Coord.) (2017). Reporte de Resultados 2017: Métrica de Gobierno Abierto 2017. CIDE, INAI; at: http://rendiciondecuentas.org.mx/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/ReportedeResultadosMetricafeb17.pdf.
- Chemerinsky, E. (2007). “Toward a Practical Definition of the Rule of Law”, in: Judges’ Journal, 46, 4; at: https://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu/facpubs/2798/.
- Freedom House (2018). About Freedom in the World: An annual study of political rights and civil liberties; at: https://freedomhouse.org/report-types/freedom-world (15 July 2018).
- General Assembly resolution 67/1, Declaration of the High-level Meeting of the General Assembly on the Rule of Law at the National and International Levels, A/RES/67/1 (30 November 2012); at: https://www.un.org/ruleoflaw/files/A-RES-67-1.pdf.
- Heritage Foundation (2018). 2018 Index of Economic Freedom: Rule of Law; at: https://www.heritage.org/index/rule-of-law (15 July 2018).
- Kaufmann, D.; Kraay, A.; Mastruzzi, M. (2011). “The Worldwide Governance Indicators: Methodology and Analytical Issues”, in: Hague Journal on the Rule of Law, 3, 2, 220–246.Google Scholar
- Kleinfeld R. (2006). “Competing Definitions of the Rule of Law”, in: Carothers, T. (Ed.), Promoting the Rule of Law Abroad: In Search of Knowledge (Washington D.C.: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace).Google Scholar
- Kleinfeld R. (2013). “How to Advance the Rule of Law Abroad”, in: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace: Policy Outlook; at: https://carnegieendowment.org/files/Kleinfeld-PO-web.pdf.
- McCubbins, M.; Rodriguez, D.; Weingast, B. (2010). The Rule of Law Unplugged, Public Law and Legal Theory Research Paper Series Number 158; at: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1467797.
- OECD (2008). Handbook on Constructing Composite Indicators: Methodology and User Guide; at: http://www.oecd.org/els/soc/handbookonconstructingcompositeindicatorsmethodologyanduserguide.htm.
- Tatar, M. (2002). The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales (New York: W.W. Norton & Company).Google Scholar
- Transparency International (2018). What is Corruption?; at: https://www.transparency.org/what-is-corruption (15 July 2018).
- United Nations Development Programme (2014). Why, What and How to Measure? A User’s Guide to Measuring Rule of Law, Justice and Security Programmes; at: http://www.undp.org/content/dam/undp/library/crisis%20prevention/UNDP_CPR_ROLMEGuide_August2014.pdf.
- United Nations Security Council, The Rule of Law and transitional justice in conflict and post-conflict societies, S/2004/616 (23 August 2004); at: https://www.un.org/ruleoflaw/blog/document/the-rule-of-law-and-transitional-justice-in-conflict-and-post-conflict-societies-report-of-the-secretary-general/.
- Vera Institute of Justice (2003). Measuring Progress toward Safety and Justice: A Global Guide to the Design of Performance Indicators across the Justice Sector; at: https://www.vera.org/publications/measuring-progress-toward-safety-and-justice-a-global-guide-to-the-design-of-performance-indicators-across-the-justice-sector.
- Versteeg, M.; Ginsburg T. (2017). “Measuring the Rule of Law: A Comparison of Indicators”, in: Law & Social Inquiry, Journal of the American Bar Foundation, 42, 1: 100–137.Google Scholar
- World Bank (2018). Worldwide Governance Indicators; at: http://info.worldbank.org/governance/WGI/#home (15 July 2018).
- World Justice Project (2018). Global Insights on Access to Justice; at: https://worldjusticeproject.org/our-work/wjp-rule-law-index/special-reports/global-insights-access-justice.
- World Justice Project (2018). WJP Rule of Law Index 2017–2018; at: https://worldjusticeproject.org/news/2017-2018-wjp-rule-law-index.
- World Justice Project (2018). Vision; at: https://worldjusticeproject.org/about-us/overview/vision (15 July 2018).
- World Justice Project (2018). Índice de Estado de Derecho en México: Perspectivas y experiencias en los 32 estados del país; at: https://worldjusticeproject.mx/indice-de-estado-de-derecho-en-mexico-2018/.