Representation of Process Development Laws in Morphological Pattern Laws: Approach of the Mathematical Morphology of Landscape
- 4 Downloads
The research is aimed at showing interrelations between quantitative parameters of the landscape morphological pattern and those of landscape forming processes based on the mathematical morphology of landscape. Landscape of thermokarst plains with fluvial erosion is a typical example of an area under a unidirectional process. We obtained the general expressions for morphological patterns describing interrelations of thermokarst and fluvial erosion processes with regularities of morphological patterns. Thermokarst lake radii obey the chi-distribution, areas obey the gamma distribution. Khasyrei radii obey the Rayleigh distribution, areas obey the exponential distribution. Landscapes with the broad development of landslides is an example of an area in a dynamic balance state. The mechanism of the relationship among dynamic parameters of geomorphological processes and the morphological pattern at any time was theoretically substantiated for a wide class of geomorphological processes which can be named the complex cyclic processes. The mathematical model of geomorphological processes, called the complex cyclic processes, was developed based on Markov chain technique. We obtained the expressions allowing us to estimate dynamic parameters of the current process with the help of quantitative characteristics of the morphological pattern from a single time slice.
KeywordsMathematical morphology Landscape Mathematical models Morphological patterns Thermokarst plains Fluvial erosion Complex cyclic geomorphological processes Landslide
The research was financially supported of Russian Scientific Foundation (project 18-17-00226).
- Abaturov, B. D. (2010). Microrelief of depressions of the Caspian lowland and the mechanisms of its formation. Arid Ecosystems, 16(5), 31–45. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Kapralova, V. N. (2014). Regularities of the development of thermokarst processes within the lacustrine-thermokarst plains based on approaches of the mathematical morphology of the landscape. Ph.D. thesis. Moscow: IEG RAS. (in Russian). http://nauchkor.ru/pubs/zakonomernosti-razvitiya-termokarstovyh-protsessov-v-predelah-ozerno-termokarstovyh-ravnin-na-osnove-podhodov-matematicheskoy-morfologii-landshafta-59be91ef5f1be704abd32346. Accessed 4 Aug 2018.
- Korolyuk, V. S., Portenko, N. I., Skorokhod, A. V., et al. (1985). A handbook on probability theory and mathematical statistics. Moscow: Nauka. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Nikolaev, V. A. (1978). Classification and small-scale mapping of landscapes. Moscow: MSU Publishing House. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Seattle Landslide Study. (2000). Seattle: Shannon & Wilson Inc. http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/cs/groups/pan/@pan/documents/web_informational/dpdp025740.pdf. Accessed 4 Aug 2018.
- Slagoda, E. A., & Ermak, A. A. (2014). Interpretation of exogenous processes in typical tundra of the Yamal Peninsula (case study of the district in the middle Yuribey river). Proceedings of Tyumen State University, Series Earth Science, 4, 28–38. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Victorov, A. S. (1998). Mathematical morphology of a landscape. Moscow: Tratek. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Victorov, A. S. (2006). Basic problems of mathematical landscape morphology. Moscow: Nauka. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Victorov, A. S. (2011). Landscape metrics as a reflection of landscape dynamics: Mathematical models. In J. Lechnio (Ed.), The problems of landscape ecology. Vol. XXX. Four dimensions of landscape (pp. 15–22). Warsaw: Warsaw University.Google Scholar
- Victorov, S. V., & Chikishev, A. G. (1985). Landscape indication. Moscow: Nauka. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Victorov, A. S., & Trapeznikova, O. N. (2000). The erosion plain mathematical model as a base for space images interpretation methods in geoenvironmental research. In Proceedings of the 4th international symposium on environmental geotechnology and global sustainable development (pp. 603–612). Boston: Lowell.Google Scholar
- Victorov, A. S., Kapralova, V. N., Orlov, T. V., et al. (2015). An analysis of the morphological structure development of the thermokarst-lake plains on the base of the mathematical model. Geomorphology, 3, 3–13. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Victorov, A. S., Kapralova, V. N., Orlov, T. V., et al. (2016). Mathematical morphology of cryolithozone landscapes. Moscow: RUDN Publishing House. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Vinogradov, B. V. (1998). Fundamentals of landscape ecology. Moscow: GEOS. (in Russian).Google Scholar