If fossil-fuel-based hydrogen is to contribute for the long-term to a low-carbon economy, then progress must be made in technologies that ensure that the associated carbon is not released to the atmosphere. There has for many years been interest in the potential for carbon capture and storage (CCS). The chapter explains why hydrogen production from fossil fuels can yield carbon dioxide rich wastes that are very attractive candidates for CCS. The sector is also well-placed for the emerging interest in carbon capture and utilisation (CCU).
- 1.The EU Emissions Trading System (EU ETS). 2013. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/clima/publications/docs/factsheet_ets_en.pdf.
- 2.Johanna, C., et al. 2015. Trends and projections in the EU ETS in 2015. In European Environment Agency, E.T. Report, Editor, Denmark.Google Scholar
- 3.The Costs of CO2 Capture, Transport and Storage. European Technology Platform for Zero Emission Fossil Fuel Power Plants, January 4, 2019. Available from: http://www.zeroemissionsplatform.eu/library/publication/165-zep-cost-report-summary.html.
- 4.Gary, M.Z., ed. 2012. Sustainable energy pricing: Nature, sustainable engineering, and the science of energy pricing, 590. Wiley-Scrivener: New Jersey.Google Scholar
- 6.International Energy Agency, Five Keys to Unlock CCS Investment. 2017, January 4, 2019. Available from: https://www.iea.org/media/topics/ccs/5KeysUnlockCCS.PDF.
- 7.The Global Status of CCS. 2015. Available from: http://hub.globalccsinstitute.com/sites/default/files/publications/196843/global-status-ccs-2015-summary.pdf.
- 8.Steve, V. Carbon tax cost killed off Scottish Power’s Longannet CCS plan. Sunday Herald 2013. Available from: http://www.heraldscotland.com/business/13088856.Carbon_tax_cost_killed_off_ScottishPower_s_Longannet_CCS_plan/.
- 9.Haszeldine, S. 2018. Perspective: CCS—Aiming for Gold at Rainbow’s End. In Petroleum Review.Google Scholar
- 10.Smit, B., A.-H.A. Park, and G. Gadikota. 2014. The grand challenges in carbon capture, utilization, and storage. Frontiers in Energy Research 2 (55).Google Scholar
- 11.Coninck, H.D. and S.M. Benson, carbon dioxide capture and storage: Issues and prospects. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 39 (1): 243–270.Google Scholar
- 12.CCGT Technology. January 3, 2019. Available from: http://www.marchwoodpower.com/ccgt/.
- 13.Zevenhoven, R. and P. Kilpinen, FLUE GASES and FUEL GASES. In Control of pollutants in flue gases and fuel gases. Finland: Espoo/Turku.Google Scholar
- 15.Amine Scrubbing Process. 2018. Available from: https://hub.globalccsinstitute.com/publications/final-report-project-pioneer/amine-scrubbing-process.
- 16.NET Power Breaks Ground on Demonstration Plant for World’s First Emissions-Free, Low-Cost Fossil Fuel Power Technology. 2016. Available from: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/net-power-breaks-ground-on-demonstration-plant-for-worlds-first-emissions-free-low-cost-fossil-fuel-power-technology-300233131.html.
- 17.Roberts, D. 2018. That natural gas power plant with no carbon emissions or air pollution? It works. Available from: https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/6/1/17416444/net-power-natural-gas-carbon-air-pollution-allam-cycle.
- 18.Temple, J. 2017. Potential carbon capture game changer nears completion, May 2, 2018. Available from: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/608755/potential-carbon-capture-game-changer-nears-completion/.
- 20.Evans, S. The Swiss company hoping to capture 1% of global CO2 emissions by 2025. Clear on climate 2017; Available from: https://www.carbonbrief.org/swiss-company-hoping-capture-1-global-co2-emissions-2025.
- 21.Direct Air Capture. 2018. Available from: http://carbonengineering.com/about-dac/.
- 22.Magill, B. World’s first commercial CO2 capture plant goes live.. Available from: http://www.climatecentral.org/news/first-commercial-co2-capture-plant-live-21494.
- 23.Schlumberger, Oilfield Glossary 2019 January 4, 2019. Available from: https://www.glossary.oilfield.slb.com/en/Terms/w/wet_gas.aspx.
- 24.With thanks to Charles Forsberg for inspiration in Private Communication 2018 (All responsiblity lies with the authors).Google Scholar