What Drives the Banking Performance? Case of Eurasian Economic Union Countries
The aim of this study is empirically evaluate the determinants of financial performance of banks in new classification of transition countries—Eurasian Economic Union. We used bank specific variables to see the impacts on profitability of banks in the above mentioned countries. GLS approach employed to do the empirical analysis for the period of 2011–2017. The result showed that there is profitability persistency in the banking market. Risk management, such as, liquidity and credit risk significantly explain the performance of the banks. Many approaches that can be taken by governments, managers and practitioners to improve banking sector in these countries.
KeywordsMarket structure Bank performance Eurasia
- Belousova, V., Karminsky, A., & Kozyr, I. (2018). Bank ownership and profit efficiency of Russian banks. Pap: BOFIT Discuss.Google Scholar
- Demirguc-Kunt, A., & Huizinga, H. (2000). Financial structure and bank profitability. World Bank, Policy Research Work Paper (pp. 1–24).Google Scholar
- Faizulayev, A., Bektas, E., & Ismail, A. G. (2018). Profitability and persistency in the service industry: The case of QISMUT+3. Service Industries Journal. https://doi.org/10.1080/02642069.2018.1461210.
- Gul, S., Irshad, F., & Zaman, K. (2011). Factors affecting bank profitability in Pakistan. Romanian Economic Journal, 61–87.Google Scholar
- Hassan, M. K., Bashir, A.-H. M. (2005). Determinants of Islamic banking profitability. In Islamic perspectives on wealth creation (pp. 118–140). https://doi.org/10.3366/edinburgh/9780748621002.003.0008.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Muda, M., Shaharuddin, A., & Embaya, A. (2013). Comparative analysis of profitability determinants of domestic and foreign Islamic banks in Malaysia. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 3, 559–569.Google Scholar
- Shaista Wasiuzzaman, H.-A. B. A. T. (2017). Profitability of Islamic banks in Malaysia : An empirical analysis. Journal of Islamic Economics, Banking and Finance.Google Scholar
- Smirlock, M., & Yawitz, J. (1985). Asset returns, discount rate changes, and market efficiency. The Journal of Finance. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1985.tb02368.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar