Alternative Composite Design from Recycled Aluminium (AA7075) Chips for Knuckle Applications-II
In this work, an alternative aluminium matrix composite (AMCs) was designed from the recycled chips of the aluminium series of AA7075 (90 wt %) and Al-Zn-Mg-Si-Ni (10 wt %) given by French aeronautic company to prepare a typical matrix after that we have designed a composite through combined method of powder metallurgy followed by Sintering + Forging. Basically, B2O3 (4 wt %, 8 wt %), TiC (5 wt %), fine Al2O3 Fibre (5 wt %), Zn (4 wt %) and Nb2Al (4 wt %) were added as the main reinforcements. To increase wettability of the reinforcements, we doped them through a thermomechanical treatment. The main idea of this research is to propose an alternative low cost composite for the application in a mechanism to transfer motion for the connection links, for example; between the two railways wagons etc. and also some connecting link in aeronautical pieces as an alternative replacement for conventional alloys used in this area. Mechanical properties, static compression 3-Point Bending (3PB) and dynamic drop weight tests and also micro-hardness results of these composites have been carried out. The microstructure analyses were evaluated by Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM).
KeywordsKnuckle-joint composites Sinter + forging Damage analyses Static-dynamic tests SEM analyses
This work has been carried out on the frame of collaboration between Supmeca/PARIS and Michigan Technical University/Houghton-MI-USA. Authors acknowledge and appreciate so much to the Dr. H-A. ALHAS from Airbus Space in London/UK for supplying materials and for technical help.
- 2.L.F.P. Ferreira, E. Bayraktar, M.H. Robert, I. Miskioglu, Particles Reinforced Scrap Aluminum Based Composites by Combined Processing; Sintering + Thixoforming, in Mechanics of Composite and Multi-functional Materials, vol. 7, (Springer, Berlin, 2016), pp. 145–152. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-41766-0. isbn:978-3-319-41766-0CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.L.-M. Ferreira, I. Miskioglu, E. Bayraktar, D. Katundi, Reinforcement Effect of Nano Fe3O4 and Nb2Al on the Mechanical and Physical Properties of Cu-Al Based Composites, in Mechanics of Composite, Hybrid and multifunctional Materials, vol. 5, (Springer, Berlin, 2018), pp. 101–108Google Scholar
- 7.D. Katundi, L.-M.P. Ferreira, E. Bayraktar, M.-H. Robert, Design and microstructural evolution, mechanical and physical properties of fine particles reinforced aluminium matrix composites. JAMPT 2(4), 566–577 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.D. Katundi, A. Irez, E. Bayraktar, I. Miskioglu, Alternative Composite Design from Recycled Aluminium Chips for Mechanical Pin-Joint (Knuckle) Applications, in Mechanics of Composite, Hybrid and Multifunctional Materials, vol. 5, (Springer, Berlin, 2018), pp. 127–135Google Scholar
- 9.G. Zambelis, E. Bayraktar, D. Katundi, I. Miskioglu, Manufacturing of Copper Based Composites Reinforced with Ceramics and Hard Intermetallics for Applications of Electric Motor Repair Parts, in Mechanics of Composite, Hybrid and Multifunctional Materials, vol. 5, (Springer, Berlin, 2018), pp. 137–145. (hal-01997541)Google Scholar
- 11.M.-F. Viana, M.-H. Robert, E. Bayraktar, Structure analysis of graded AA2011–Al2O3/NaAlSi3O8 composites produced by thixoforming. JAMPT 3(2), 231–239 (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.L.-M.-P. Ferreira, E. Bayraktar, I. Miskioglu, M.H. Robert, Design and physical properties of multifunctional structural composites reinforced with nanoparticles for aeronautical applications. JAMPT 3(1), 33–44 (2017)Google Scholar
- 14.L.F.P. Ferreira, E. Bayraktar, M.H. Robert, I. Miskioglu, Recycling of Scrap Aluminium (AA7075) Chips for Low Cost Composites, in Mechanics of Composite and Multi-Functional Materials, vol. 7, (Springer, Berlin, 2016), pp. 19–26. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-41766-0. isbn:978-3-319-41766-0CrossRefGoogle Scholar