Nonlinear Models of Finite Amplitude Interfacial Waves in Shallow Two-Layer Fluid
We present an example of systematic use of asymptotic methods for the description of long waves at the interface between two fluids of different densities. The governing equations for weakly nonlinear long interfacial waves are consistently derived for a general case of nonpotential flow and taking into account surface tension between two layers. Particular attention is given to the situations when some terms in the resulting fifth order KdV-type evolution equation become small, vanish, or change their sign.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This study was financially supported by the state task program in the sphere of scientific activity of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation (projects No 5.4568.2017/6.7 and 5.1246.2017/4.6), grant of the President of the Russian Federation (NSh-2685.2018.5), Program “Nonlinear Dynamics” of the Russian Academy of Sciences and grants of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR No 18-02-00042, 19-05-00161).
- Ablowitz, M.J., Segur, H.: Solitons and the Inverse Scattering Transform. SIAM Studies in Applied and Numerical Mathematics, vol. 4, Philadelphia (1981). https://doi.org/10.1137/1.9781611970883
- Djordjevic, V.D., Redekopp, L.G.: The fission and disintegration of internal solitary waves moving over two-dimensional topography. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 8(6), 1016–1024 (1978). https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0485(1978)008<1016:tfadoi>2.0.co;2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Engelbrecht, J., Pelinovsky, E.N., Fridman, V.E.: Nonlinear Evolution Equations. Longman Scientific & Technical, Harlow (1988)Google Scholar
- Helfrich, K.R., Melville, W.K.: Long nonlinear internal waves. Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 38, 395–425 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.fluid.38.050304.092129 MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Miropol’sky, Yu.Z.: Dynamics of Internal Gravity Waves in the Ocean. Springer, Heidelberg (2001). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-017-1325-2