Antiplane Surface Wave Propagation Within the Stress Gradient Surface Elasticity
We discuss a new class of antiplane surface waves in an elastic half space with surface stresses. Here we consider a surface elasticity within stress gradient model , that is when the surface stresses relate to surface strains through an integral constitutive dependence. For antiplane motions the problem is reduced to the wave equation with nonclassical dynamic boundary condition. The dispersion relation is derived.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The author gratefully thanks the Reviewer for the helpful constructive comments and recommendations.
The author acknowledges financial support from the Russian Science Foundation under the grant “Methods of microstructural nonlinear analysis, wave dynamics and mechanics of composites for research and design of modern metamaterials and elements of structures made on its base” (No 15-19-10008-P).
- Askes, H., Aifantis, E.C.: Gradient elasticity in statics and dynamics: An overview of formulations, length scale identification procedures, finite element implementations and new results. Int. J. Solids Struct. 48(13), 1962–1990 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2011.03.006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Engelbrecht, J., Pastrone, F., Braun, M., Berezovski, A.: Hierarchies of waves in nonclassical materials. In: Delsanto P.P. (ed.) Universality of Nonclassical Nonlinearity: Applications to Non-destructive Evaluations and Ultrasonic, pp. 29–47. Springer, New York (2006). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-35851-2_3 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eremeyev, V.A., Cloud, M.J., Lebedev, L.P.: Applications of Tensor Analysis in Continuum Mechanics. World Scientific, New Jersey (2018a). https://doi.org/10.1142/10959
- de Gennes, P.G.: Some effects of long range forces on interfacial phenomena. J. Phys. Lettr. 42(16), 377–379 (1981). https://doi.org/10.1051/jphyslet:019810042016037700 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Israelachvili, J.N.: Intermolecular and Surface Forces, 3rd edn. Academic Press, Amsterdam (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-391927-4.10024-6
- Lebedev, L.P., Cloud, M.J., Eremeyev, V.A.: Tensor Analysis with Applications in Mechanics. World Scientific, New Jersey (2010). https://doi.org/10.1142/7826
- Rowlinson, J.S., Widom, B.: Molecular Theory of Capillarity. Dover, New York (2003)Google Scholar