Biosynthesized Metallic Nanoparticles as Emerging Cancer Theranostics Agents
Cancer is considered as a great health challenge liable for outstripped demises worldwide. Currently it is treated mainly by chemotherapy and radiotherapy. However, there is a perpetual demand for the development of novel therapeutic drugs to combat this devastating disease. In this regard nanomedicine can provide an alternative platform for its diagnosis and treatment but its conventional synthesis through physiochemical methods has several shortcomings like high cost, energy intensive, and toxicity concerns. Consequently, the green synthesis of biogenic metallic nanoparticles (MNPs) from plants provides an alternate paradigm which has been proved safer, eco-friendly, energy proficient, inexpensive, and less toxic in nature. Additionally, the green MNPs have multipurpose biomedical applications like drug delivery agents, anticancerous mediators, photothermal therapy, and bio-imaging. This chapter will provide ample information on the current status of green MNPs, its anticancerous mechanisms, and efficiency in cancer diagnosis. Other issues like polydispersity and toxicity are also highlighted. Keeping in view all of the challenges, the authors anticipate biogenic MNPs may contribute to shift the paradigm toward development of novel nanomedicine that can prove as biocompatible theranostic agents in near future.
KeywordsMetal nanoparticles Bionanomaterials Cancer theranostics Green synthesis Biocompatibility
- Farzanegi P, Asadi M, Abdi A, Etemadian M, Amani M, Amrollah V, Shahri F, Gholami V, Abdi Z, Moradi L, Ghorbani S. Swimming exercise in combination with garlic extract administration as a therapy against doxorubicin-induced hepatic, heart and renal toxicity to rats. Toxin Rev. 2019:1–10. https://doi.org/10.1080/15569543.2018.1559194.
- Khalil AT, Ovais M, Ullah I, Ali M, Jan SA, Shinwari ZK, Maaza M. Bioinspired synthesis of pure massicot phase lead oxide nanoparticles and assessment of their biocompatibility, cytotoxicity and in-vitro biological properties. Arabian J Chem. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arabjc.2017.08.009.
- Khalil AT, Khalil AT, Ovais M, Ullah I, Ali M, Shinwari ZK, Hassan D, Maaza M. Sageretia thea (Osbeck.) modulated biosynthesis of NiO nanoparticles and their in vitro pharmacognostic, antioxidant and cytotoxic potential. Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol. 2018b;46(4):838–52.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lacave JM, Vicario-Parés U, Bilbao E, Gilliland D, Mura F, Dini L, Cajaraville MP, Orbea A. Waterborne exposure of adult zebrafish to silver nanoparticles and to ionic silver results in differential silver accumulation and effects at cellular and molecular levels. Sci Total Environ. 2018;642:1209–20.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mal J, Veneman WJ, Nancharaiah YV, van Hullebusch ED, Peijnenburg WJ, Vijver MG, Lens PN. A comparison of fate and toxicity of selenite, biogenically, and chemically synthesized selenium nanoparticles to zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryogenesis. Nanotoxicology. 2017;11(1):87–97.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Manimaran M. A review on nanotechnology and its implications in agriculture and food industry. Asian J Plant Sci Res. 2015;5(7):13–5.Google Scholar
- Mukherjee S, Dasari M, Priyamvada S, Kotcherlakota R, Bollu VS, Patra CR. A green chemistry approach for the synthesis of gold nanoconjugates that induce the inhibition of cancer cell proliferation through induction of oxidative stress and their in vivo toxicity study. J Mater Chem B. 2015;3(18):3820–30.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Papavlassopoulos H, Mishra YK, Kaps S, Paulowicz I, Abdelaziz R, Elbahri M, Maser E, Adelung R, Röhl C. Toxicity of functional nano-micro zinc oxide tetrapods: impact of cell culture conditions, cellular age and material properties. PLoS One. 2014;9(1):e84983.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Silva-De Hoyos LE, Sánchez-Mendieta V, Camacho-López MA, Trujillo-Reyes J, Vilchis-Nestor AR. Plasmonic and fluorescent sensors of metal ions in water based on biogenic gold nanoparticles. Arabian J Chem. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arabjc.2018.02.016.
- Singh P, Kim YJ, Singh H, Wang C, Hwang KH, Farh ME, Yang DC. Biosynthesis, characterization, and antimicrobial applications of silver nanoparticles. Int J Nanomed. 2015;10:2567–77.Google Scholar
- WHO. Obesity and overweight fact sheet. 2017. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/. Accessed 1 Jul 2018.