R++, User-Friendly Statistical Software
Statistical analysis is gradually entering all areas of society, be in academia or in the private sector. Statistical software is used by statisticians but also by non-experts (medical doctors, psychologists...). Unfortunately, this kind of software is integrated into obsolete interfaces that completely ignore the principles of HCI and are poorly adapted to non-expert users.
R++ project aims to develop a modern statistical analysis software program integrated into a user-friendly interface. In this paper, we present the methodology that led us to the design of R++. We also give two examples that this methodology allowed us to achieve.
KeywordsStatistical analysis Video prototyping R++
Supplementary material 1 (mp4 22481 KB)
- 1.Muenchen, R.A.: The Popularity of Data Science Software. http://r4stats.com/articles/popularity/. Accessed 19 Apr 2019
- 3.Hand, D.: Statistics in Banking. Published online in Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118445112.stat00179. Accessed 19 Apr 2019
- 6.R Core Team: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria (2019). https://www.R-project.org/
- 7.Chai, A.: Accélération des méthodes statistiques sur GPU. Master 2 internship report. https://rplusplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Rapport_Anchen03.pdf. Accessed 19 Apr 2019
- 8.Mackinlay, J.D., Robertson, G.G., Card, S.K.: The perspective wall: detail and context smoothly integrated. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 1991), pp. 173–176 (1991). https://doi.org/10.1145/108844.108870
- 10.Bier, E.A., Stone, M.C., Pier, K., Buxton, W., DeRose, T.D.: Toolglass and magic lenses: the see-through interface. In: Proceedings of the 20th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH 1993), pp. 73–80 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1145/166117.166126