The Park as Stage: Radical Re-Casting in Disneyland’s Social Clubs
Disney has always relied on their own forms of adaptation—adopting a literature of previously known stories and retelling them with the marketable and appealing Disney brand. In this essay Elizabeth Schiffler argues that a closer look reveals that such practices have created a sort of breeding ground for re-casting, adaptation, and performance of the Disney canon’s stories and characters. Disneyland Theme Parks are no exception. In fact they have created a stage, rehearsal room, and underground conference of guests who can retell stories and re-cast characters to make them their own heroes. Schiffler provides a deep analysis of Disneyland’s various Social Clubs, small groups of regularly visiting Disneyland fans who radically adapt characters and spaces to work with their bodies, some of whom have been accused of being gangs. These subcultures or fandoms adapt characters and stories that are typically cast in supporting or antagonist roles within Disney’s films, marketing, consumer products, and the staging of Disneyland itself to the point that the character individuates, becoming a more vibrant and resonant story within the park.
KeywordsDisneyland Goths Gay Days Gangs Adaptation
- @disneystyle, “Disney Style on Instagram.” https://www.instagram.com/disneystyle/. Accessed 21 April 2019.
- @princessmoanasroyalcourtsc, “Princess Moana’s Royal Court SC on Instagram.” https://www.instagram.com/princessmoanasroyalcourtsc/. Accessed April 21, 2019.
- “About Our Story.” gaydaysanaheiminfo. https://www.gaydaysanaheiminfo.com/about. Accessed 30 Sept. 2018.
- Bambury, Brent. 2018. The Big Bad Wolves and the Tigger Army: Meet the Disneyland Social Clubs that Look Like Biker Gangs. CBC Radio, March 7. https://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/episode-380-russia-assassinations-cricket-farms-madeleine-l-engle-s-grandkids-disney-social-clubs-and-more-1.4565659/the-big-bad-wolves-and-the-tigger-army-meet-the-disneyland-social-clubs-that-look-like-biker-gangs-1.4565664. Accessed 21 Apr. 2019.
- Bradley, Bill. 2016. ‘Possibilities are Open’ for LGBTQ Disney Princess, Directors Say. Huffington Post, November 16. https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/moana-directors-possibilities-are-open-for-lgbtq-disney-princess_us_582a8696e4b060adb5701ac0?guccounter=1. Accessed 21 Apr. 2019.
- Calhoun, Jordan. n.d. 21 Years Ago, A Goofy Movie Became the Blackest, Most Underrated Nerd Classic of All Time. https://blacknerdproblems.com/20-years-ago-a-goofy-movie-became-the-blackest-most-underrated-nerd-classic-of-all-time/. Accessed 21 Apr. 2019.
- Chocano, Carina. 2018. What Good is ‘Community’ When Someone Else Makes All the Rules? New York Times, April 17. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/magazine/what-good-is-community-when-someone-else-makes-all-the-rules.html.
- Deleuze, Gillis and Felix Guattari. 2011. A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia. Trans. Brian Massumi. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Hasted, Nick. 1996. So What Is Goofy? The Independent, October 17. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/so-what-is-goofy-1358726.html. Accessed 21 Apr. 2019.
- Hutcheon, Linda. 2013. A Theory of Adaption. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Korda, Noah. Now It’s Time to Say Goodbye to All Our Batty Family … http://www.batsday.net/press/batsdaypressrelease.pdf.
- Martin, Hugo. 2017. Disneyland Stops Selling Its Southern California Annual Pass, but It May Come Back Someday. Los Angeles Times, November 20. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disneyland-pass-suspension-20171120-story.html.
- Radio Underland. 2018. ‘Who Are You?’ Interview by Elizabeth Schiffler. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWwQs4xzns8&list=PLRlt4_BC8MdAHo081Lv_4jPlLtDeelwSg.
- “The White Rabbits Social Club.” Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/Thewhiterabbitsc/. Accessed 21 Apr. 2019.
- Ugwu, Reggie. 2018. For Goths at Disneyland, It’s a Dark World After All. New York Times, May 11. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/11/arts/goths-disneyland-bats-day.html.
- Wamsley, Laurel. 2018. Lawsuit Alleges Mafia-Like Tactics Aimed At a Disneyland Social Club. NPR, February 12. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/12/585192854/lawsuit-alleges-mafia-like-tactics-aimed-at-a-disneyland-social-club. Accessed 12 Feb. 2018.
- “What is Bats Day in the Fun Park All About?” https://web.archive.org/web/20180606173506/http://www.batsday.net/about/about.html. Accessed 30 May 2018.