Survey Methodologies and Intervention in Stone Masonry Arch Bridges: The Case Study of Esmoriz Bridge
This paper focuses on survey methodologies and structural repair interventions on stone masonry arch bridges, stemming from the experience and knowledge gathered by the Nucleus of Rehabilitation of the Institute of Construction of the Faculty of Engineering of University of Porto, through a large number of surveys in heritage structures in general and masonry arch bridges in particular. Besides a brief discussion on structural survey and intervention methodologies, a practical example of structural intervention is presented, the case of Esmoriz bridge, for which the main objective was to preserve its structural safety, authenticity and integrity.
KeywordsStone masonry arch bridges Survey methodologies Repair interventions
- 2.Orbán, Z.: Assessment, reliability and maintenance of masonry arch railway bridges in Europe. In: Roca, P., Molins, C. (eds.) Arch Bridges IV – Advances in Assessment, Structural Design and Construction, CIMNE, Barcelona, pp. 152–161 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Bién, J., Kaminski, T.: Damages to masonry arch bridges – proposal for terminology unification. In: Proceedings of the Arch 07 – 5th International Conference on Arch Bridges, 12–14 September 2007, pp. 341–348, Madeira (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.ICOMOS Charter, Principles for the Analysis, Conservation and Structural Restoration of Architectural Heritage, 14th General Assembly, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.https://www.rotadoromanico.com. Accessed in 2019
- 6.Costa, A., Arêde, A., Paupério E., Costa C.: Relatório de Inspecção à Ponte de Esmoriz em Baião, IC-FEUP, Porto, Janeiro (2012). Technical report in PortugueseGoogle Scholar