Virtual Teaching in an Engineering Context as Enabler for Internationalization Opportunities
The mobility of students that would be necessary to gain intercultural internationalization experience during their studies is not available to the same extent for all students. In engineering it is partly possible to replace physical presence by virtualized technical arrangements – e.g. by web access to the sensors and actuators of a robot or machine or by using 3D printing technology. The project ENGINE of the University of Applied Sciences (UAS) Technikum Wien – Engineering goes International – develops such concepts from a technical and didactic point of view. This paper gives a brief overview of the experience gained in this case study with academic programs in e.g., mechatronics/robotics, mechanical engineering and international industrial engineering. The approach and achieved results can easily be applied as well in other engineering study programs – e.g., electronics, informatics and many more.
We would like to thank the City of Vienna and especially the MA23 department for their friendly support of the project ENGINE. Thanks are also due to the company SMC for the friendly support with hardware components for the marble maze.
- 1.Sotz-Hollinger, G.: Karriereerwartungen berufsbegleitend Studierender. Zeitschrift für Hochschulentwicklung ZFHE 4(2), 10–22 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.BMBWF (previously BMWFW): Hochschulmobilitätsstrategie des BMWFW, Vienna (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Candelas Herias, F.A., Puente, S., Torres, F., Ortiz, F.G., Gil, P., Pomares, J.: A virtual laboratory for teaching Robotics. Int. J. Eng. Educ. 19(3), 363–370 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Despeisse, M., Minshall, T.: Skills and education for additive manufacturing: a review of emerging issues. In: Lödding, H., Riedel, R., Thoben, K.-D., von Cieminski, G., Kiritsis, D. (eds.) APMS 2017. IAICT, vol. 513, pp. 289–297. Springer, Cham (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-66923-6_34CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.https://northtexan.unt.edu/issues/unt-professor-ted-farris-earns-logistics-innovation-award. Accessed 10 June 2019
- 7.https://www.technikum-wien.at/en/about_us/gender___diversity/. Accessed 10 June 2019
- 8.https://www.technikum-wien.at/en/international/campus-international/. Accessed 15 June 2019
- 12.Grubert, J.: Die Zukunft sehen: Die Chancen und Herausforderungen der Erweiterten und Virtuellen Realität für industrielle Anwendungen, Coburg (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.https://www.openmintlabs.de/. Accessed 12 June 2019